M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I need something to save for :). Still thinking about a Class III BM-59 or M16. But what about Semi Auto M60s?
Ive seen some pics here and there. Any of you own the SAI Semi? How about conversions? Who has one? My girls father has a 1919a4 semi but I dont want one. So what do you guys have?DI5

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've seen some of these semi's and they're really well made from what I could tell. The problem is that you have a weapon firing a rifle cartridge without the benefits of the rifle: Not nearly as portable or handy and without the PRACTICAL accuracy of the rifle. One of the select fire rifles you are thinking about would be more practical but still more practical would be a semi auto of either and lots of ammo and mags. How much milsurp can you buy for the cost of an M16? Friend of mine went through the full auto phase and let me shoot his a bunch. Lots of fun they are but thank goodness the ammo was his. Geez! Same guy had a for real 1919A4. Now THAT was a machine gun!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
i was unaware that they made a Semi-auto version of the M-60.

but even if they did i don't think it would be legal in the PRNJ because it is a belt fed weapon, but who knows that might be a Class 3 thing?GI3

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What is the point of a semi-auto replica of a weapon that was designed to fire fully automatic? Doesn't semi-auto defeat the intended purpose of it? A semi auto m240 is like alcohol free beer. Price tag is scary, too

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I agree that it's a lot of money for not much payoff. I'd be more inclined to just purchase more prepping supplies. Stuff like beans, bullets, fuel, etc etc etc. If you really have the itch I guess a full auto M16 would be nice. However if I was going to buy anything full auto I think it would be a sub gun. That's about the only place I see that it would have a really big advantage over a semi auto version of the same weapon.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How about a semi only version of the MG-42. Saw one at a recent funshow for $2400, included 1000 rounds of belted 7.92 mm too!! Does defeat the purpose though, belt fed, and entirely too heavy to use as a rifle.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
For an "individual" the advantages of a semiauto belt fed:

Strictly for fun...

Most likely they are cheaper than the full auto version, and do not require any Class 3 paper work.
Some states do not allow class 3 guns, in some areas, even in legal Class 3 states, you cannot get the Class 3 paper work signed, by the local LEO's.

In a "Survival" situation you could have several hundred rounds linked up, so in effect, you could shoot a BUNCH and never have to reload.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is the point of a semi-auto replica of a weapon that was designed to fire fully automatic? Doesn't semi-auto defeat the intended purpose of it? A semi auto m240 is like alcohol free beer. Price tag is scary, too
Ask the same question of an M14. It's capable of and designed for auto fire capabilities but yet we buy the semi version m1a.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ask the same question of an M14. It's capable of and designed for auto fire capabilities but yet we buy the semi version m1a.
Because Slick Willy chopped them all and that evil 1986 law. Machine Guns in semi only are ridiculous (except the M-2) like M-1 Thompson's in semi only. Jeez! Someday I'll own a real M-14 (Oregon they're legal to own) or go to Honduras and trade for one! LOL!GI1

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I don't know, I don't see anything wrong with a 'semi' machine gun, it's whatever you want to spend your money on.

I would tend to agree with another poster... for the money you could get a nice Class III sub-gun and actually afford to shoot it (in those places you can have CIII...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was unaware that they made a Semi-auto version of the M-60.

but even if they did i don't think it would be legal in the PRNJ because it is a belt fed weapon, but who knows that might be a Class 3 thing?GI3
I'm not sure if the semi-auto belt-fed types are as regulated as the "assault weapons" as the belt doesn't necessarily qualify as a "detachable magazine."

I know that Springfield Armory marketed a semi M60 years ago and know of another company (US Ordnance?) that made/makes one as well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere, that in Kalifornia, a fella was arrested and charged, with violating the State High Cap magazine ban because he had some 100 round belts of 308 in M 60 links...

Did not hear how the case came out...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seem to remember reading somewhere, that in Kalifornia, a fella was arrested and charged, with violating the State High Cap magazine ban because he had some 100 round belts of 308 in M 60 links...

Did not hear how the case came out...

I hope that isn't true. When I was still at pendleton I receiverd 1200 rds of 7.26 link that I ordered from SAMCO GLobal.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you go to the KNOB CREEK MACHINE GUN SHOOT( during april or october)? in west point, ky. you can get a m240 or a m60 in semi of course lil cheaper then the retail price. still from OHIO ORDANANCE, cuz they cut the price down on thier demo models they have on display on the tables @ the show. I was ready to buy a m240 for under 9k. but had to back out at the last minute!RNGR4 had more then half the money down on it. the other half was sitting on a harley-davidson softail(cross bones) back in michiagan. couldn't make my mind up GI3 harley? or m240?. So when I got back home to got to work? BOOM!!! I was laid-off, go figure(back in 2008). that made my mind-up (U GET NOTHING!!)RNGR4 so i called ohio/harley and told them the bad news. so as of now i still have nothing. But I least i am wroking now(2010) so i'll have too try again??? but still harley or m240 that is the question????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts