M14 Forum banner

taiwan type 57 rifle

9440 Views 29 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  jeepguy
i was reading another thread and started thinking, if anybody knows if taiwan is still making these rifles. if so could us companys buy parts from them, i know they cant import complete rifles but i have seen alot of part kits from overseas. if they don't still make m14's anybody know what did they do with the tooling? just curious to learn more about our beloved rifle.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4,184 Posts
I have never heard of any Taiwanese M14 Parts (other than Magazines in the early 90s) coming in to this Country!

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,265 Posts
Chinese Parts Imported

Many of the parts on current SAI rifles are made by Wayne Machine in Taiwan. Op rods, gas cylinders, and barrels are being made in Taiwan, and in Korea then imported to the US. Exhibits at this years SHOT Show showed almost all types of M14 parts are being made there.

The problem with most of these parts is they don't seem to show consistant quality control. Some are very good while others are poor. Both China and Korea have the ability and technology to produce very high quality products. American companies who have products made off shore often ignore overall quality in favor of low cost.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
T57 would be be a NFA firearm to us, anyway, right, same as a M14? Then again, a Class III importer might have better luck getting one of those into the U.S. for a papered/taxed transfer than anybody's had so far getting those M1 rifles and carbines in that S Korea wants to sell.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Many of the parts on current SAI rifles are made by Wayne Machine in Taiwan. Op rods, gas cylinders, and barrels are being made in Taiwan, and in Korea then imported to the US. Exhibits at this years SHOT Show showed almost all types of M14 parts are being made there.

The problem with most of these parts is they don't seem to show consistant quality control. Some are very good while others are poor. Both China and Korea have the ability and technology to produce very high quality products. American companies who have products made off shore often ignore overall quality in favor of low cost.
What about the use of these parts and keeping the firearm ATFE compliant?

Regards

Ox

· Registered
43 Posts
What about the use of these parts and keeping the firearm ATFE compliant?

Regards

Ox
I believe the limit on imported parts 922r ( No more than 10 imported parts) only applies to certain types of rifles/configurations. That's why you can have a Saiga in .223/7.62x39 with all Russian parts, but if you want to convert it to pistol grip configuration and make it compatible with military style magazines you need to have at least five parts made in the US. Six if you are using a muzzle device.

K-VAR sells converted Russian Saiga rifles with the correct compliance parts.

I'm not sure how SAI does compliance parts, if they are required.

· Registered
144 Posts
If the receiver is made in the USA, the limit on the number of named foreign parts doesn't apply to the assembled rifle.
Respectfully, that is absolutely not correct.

Section 922 Paragraph R states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Not "sporting", any two of the following:

- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs

If your rifle has these features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

Paragraph (C) defines the following parts as "countable" under the law:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *
(2) Barrels *
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments *
(6) Bolts *
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods *
(9) Gas pistons *
(10) Trigger housings *
(11) Triggers *
(12) Hammers *
(13) Sears *(?)
(14) Disconnectors *
(15) Buttstocks *
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards *
(18) Magazine bodies *
(19) Followers *
(20) Floorplates *

I count 16, depending on definition. Use a US made receiver and you still have more than 10 if using foreign made parts.

It's not right, but it is what it is.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...iv8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Respectfully, that is absolutely not correct.

Section 922 Paragraph R states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Not "sporting", any two of the following:

- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs

If your rifle has these features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".
Roger on what the named foreign parts are. I'm the one that got the BATFE to put in writing what the named foreign parts are specifically for the Chinese M14.

Note that since 1994 Springfield Armory, Inc. every M1A that leaves the factory in a factory shipping box as new has: 1) no bayonet lug 2) no pistol grip 3) a ten round magazine 4) and no folding stock. Factory new M1A rifles since 1994 meet the definition of "sporting purposes." Therefore, 922(r) does not apply. SA, Inc. can use as many imported parts as they want because they don't build and ship them with "evil" features. And now you know why there is no bayonet lug. GI2

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Named parts made overseas for SA, Inc. M1A rifles in the last sixteen years that I know of for sure:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings * Canada
(2) Barrels * Korea
(3) Barrel extensions
(5) Muzzle attachments * Taiwan and Korea
(6) Bolts * Korea
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods *
(9) Gas pistons *
(10) Trigger housings * Taiwan and Korea
(11) Triggers * Taiwan and Korea
(12) Hammers * Taiwan and Korea
(13) Sears * Taiwan and Korea
(14) Disconnectors * Taiwan and Korea
(15) Buttstocks *
(16) Pistol grips
(18) Magazine bodies * Taiwan 20 round magazine
(19) Followers * Taiwan
(20) Floorplates * Taiwan

· Registered
1,966 Posts
Named parts made overseas for SA, Inc. M1A rifles in the last sixteen years that I know of for sure:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings * Canada
(2) Barrels * Korea
(3) Barrel extensions
(5) Muzzle attachments * Taiwan and Korea
(6) Bolts * Korea
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods *
(9) Gas pistons *
(10) Trigger housings * Taiwan and Korea
(11) Triggers * Taiwan and Korea
(12) Hammers * Taiwan and Korea
(13) Sears * Taiwan and Korea
(14) Disconnectors * Taiwan and Korea
(15) Buttstocks *
(16) Pistol grips
(18) Magazine bodies * Taiwan 20 round magazine
(19) Followers * Taiwan
(20) Floorplates * Taiwan
Very interesting !!!

· Registered
520 Posts
Roger on what the named foreign parts are. I'm the one that got the BATFE to put in writing what the named foreign parts are specifically for the Chinese M14.

Note that since 1994 Springfield Armory, Inc. every M1A that leaves the factory in a factory shipping box as new has: 1) no bayonet lug 2) no pistol grip 3) a ten round magazine 4) and no folding stock. Factory new M1A rifles since 1994 meet the definition of "sporting purposes." Therefore, 922(r) does not apply. SA, Inc. can use as many imported parts as they want because they don't build and ship them with "evil" features. And know you know why there is no bayonet lug. GI2
So new post ban rifles have bayo lugs either?
And is there a prob with my 03 loaded with a gi flash suppressor?

· Registered
9,283 Posts
So new post ban rifles have bayo lugs either?
And is there a prob with my 03 loaded with a gi flash suppressor?
On your second question, that's up to you to determine. I don't know what parts you have on the rifle.

I'm not quite clear on your first question. New M1A rifles don't leave the factory with a bayonet lug if that is what you're asking.

If you want the BATFE letter on domestication of a Chinese M14, send me an e-mail request.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.