M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Dans Ammo in PA. has M-14 mags from Taiwan at a good price,whats the deal on these,I have heard decent reports about them! Are they worth the time and effort & MONEY to order a few or just stick with USGI no mater what! They are $20 bucks each or $80 for 5. Check it out, www.dansammo.com They are under the Ammo heading.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey There - m1a_scoutguy :mrgreen:

I think most folks would agree that if you don't buy USGI mags, you're headed for a bad experience. I've been tempted by deals like this one and resisted, only to find out someone else bought some of the bargain mags and got a lot less than they expected.

I know the USGI mags are a lot of money, but you don't have to worry about having to buy followers and springs or having missing welded tabs on USGI mags. Usually, by the time the folks get them functional, if they can, those cheap mags aren't.

Sure not knocking anybody's decisions here and if you get them, I hope they work.

I don't insist on too many USGI parts for my M1A, but if mags aren't USGI, I don't buy them.

Just my .02.

db

·
Registered
17 Posts
The pics for both Dan's Ammo and Ammoman mags and paper wrap look identical to me. The latest Shotgun News has an add for 'Asian military' M14 mags for about the same price. There must be multiple dealers getting this version of mag. Funny how 3 dealers give 3 different descriptions as to the origin.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When our "leaders" decided to stop issue of M14's :evil: , the US tooling/machinery used to make the mags was sold to Taiwan who continued making M14 mags. The only difference in the USGI and Taiwanese mags is that the Taiwan mags are a little lighter in color (gray) and don't have the manufacturers stamp on them. I have owned and used about four of them for the past several years and they are identical in weight, function and reliability as the USGI mags. Unless you examine them side by side, very closely and knowing what to look for, with a USGI mag, you can't tell the difference.
If you can confirm that these mags are actually from Taiwan, get 'em while you can :!: Just be sure you are getting Taiwanese manufactured mags and not some made elsewere!

(Just saw the post reference the German M14 mags. Like I said, if it ain't USGI or Taiwanese, Hold on to your money!)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,,thanks for all the info,,I Hear what your all saying,its a gamble thats for sure! Like M1AScout says about the mags,I remember hearing about them being made in Taiwain and about them useing OUR tools and machines thats why I though that they were pretty good! Well I'll give DAN a call on Monday and see what they have to say,and maybe I'll try a couple,,,if It turns into a I told ya so,, #-o I'll let you guys know for sure,If I get the order out on Monday I mite have them by the end of the week cuz he is in PA and I'm NY so pretty close. I'll keep ya posted on the good and the bad!

·
Registered
89 Posts
M1AScout said:
The only difference in the USGI and Taiwanese mags is that the Taiwan mags are a little lighter in color (gray) and don't have the manufacturers stamp on them.
Actually, Taiwanese T57 (m14) mags are blued.

Grey parkerized mags are Chinese made (Polytech/Norinco), which are reverse engineered, and not made on US toolings.

Both Taiwanese and Chinese mags should work just as good as USGI.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got some gray mags at the last Tulsa Gun Show, looked right but would not feed well. Did not have a USGI pattern spring in them, got good springs and they are fine.
Dealer in Tulsa said they were from Mexico, another dealer that had them said they were from Taiwan.
Not Poly of Norinco, but close IMHO

·
Registered
676 Posts
taiwanese mags are excatly like USGI except they are blued. the blue is a good quality blue job. similar to m1 carbine mags. every weld is perfect and the little tabs at the top front of the mag have rounded corners just like USGI and unlike chinese which are cut there and are usually sharp.

in my book tawainese mags would be a close #2 choice after USGI and before chinese. alternate standard if you will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.