M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have the ubiquitous Konus spotting scope.

My biggest gripe about it is the cheap, plasticky tripod that it came with.

I'm looking for a tabletop tripod that's more stable and doesn't feel like it's going to break every time I use it.

I don't need a scope stand, because I virtually always put my scope on the shooting bench next to me — a tabletop tripod is ideal.

Anyway, I want one with quick release (not twist) extendable legs, and with standard 2- or 3- way adjustable head (no ball heads), and the legs need to spread out nearly horizontal so that it's as stable as possible.

I've looked everywhere, and the one that I really like is the "Velbon CX 460 Mini." It costs $40 or so.
Of course, it's not sold in the USA, but I spend enough time overseas that it would be easy to get one.

Any thoughts?

Bimmer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is this it?...............

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-3-Section-Aluminum-Tabletop-Supports/dp/B004G5CWT2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292688139&sr=8-1-fkmr1[/ame]

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update, and a bump:

The "DF Mini" tripod that Velbon sells here (in the USA) is the same as the one I wanted, it was just that nobody took pictures of one with the leg braces extended.

I found one "like new" on eBay, and it seems terrific. With the braces extended the legs stick almost straight out, so the tripod is very short and wide. The adjustments are smooth... they're not joking calling it a "fluid head."
It's sooo much better than the POS that came with my scope that I'm just kicking myself for waiting until now to get one.

I also found a Velbon CX690 on eBay, so now I have a full size (6'+) tripod, and a spare quick release plate.
My vague plan is to put a chronograph on the bigger tripod, if I ever get one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts