M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 1,000 pieces of processed 308 brass from a gunshow vendor. Most of the stuff is LC12 or LC13 with a few commercial cases mixed in here and there.

I sorted out the brass today by headstamp and came across an awesome find. This is an FA51 and I assume it is actually a T65 case.

Too bad it isn't the complete cartridge...

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,401 Posts
FA, from the Frankford Arsenal, is it really a T-65 Case (47mm long)?

GI3

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
"T 65" is actually a cartridge designation rather than a case designation, (except for the original case and cartridge which were both designated as T65.)

FA 51 would indicate an FAT1E3 case which is the 2.01" (51mm) iteration, the final case design. It would be very unusual to find it loaded as any of the T65 series of cartridges. It's a very common headstamp and is found loaded as Cal .30 Light Rifle Ball, AP, API, Tracer, HPT, and Dummy.

Wildcatters like Warren Page and Townsend Whelen managed to get some of these cases and you'll find it re-formed to cartridges such as the 240 Page.

BTW, the T65 series of cartridges was loaded in all three case lengths. However, none used that particular headstamp AFAIK.

Confusing? You bet. Unless you have a score card, which I do.

Ray

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"T 65" is actually a cartridge designation rather than a case designation, (except for the original case and cartridge which were both designated as T65.)

FA 51 would indicate an FAT1E3 case which is the 2.01" (51mm) iteration, the final case design. It would be very unusual to find it loaded as any of the T65 series of cartridges. It's a very common headstamp and is found loaded as Cal .30 Light Rifle Ball, AP, API, Tracer, HPT, and Dummy.

Wildcatters like Warren Page and Townsend Whelen managed to get some of these cases and you'll find it re-formed to cartridges such as the 240 Page.

BTW, the T65 series of cartridges was loaded in all three case lengths. However, none used that particular headstamp AFAIK.

Confusing? You bet. Unless you have a score card, which I do.

Ray

That's interesting that this is a common headstamp. I can't imagine there are too many floating around nowadays.

The OAL is 2.01" so that's what it is, then. Still, I wish it was an actual cartridge rather than a fired piece of sized brass.

I think I'll hang onto this even if it is a common item. Thanks for the info.

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
I can understand how a non-collector would not often see any of the pre-NATO cases or cartridges and think they are rare. The FA 51 case is probably the most common headstamp of all. When loaded as a cartridge it is far more common that any of the T65 series cartridges, some of which are almost considered rare.

Still, a nice collectable. If the UPS charges for shipping a single cartridge were not so high, I'd gladly send you a loaded cartridge.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts