M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one more project I just don't have time for. Original US military T44 stock. Predecessor to the M14, it has the buttplate style of the Garand, with the receiver style of the M14. It has never been used, as there is no receiver marks, no proof mark or DOD. Believe there is a flaming bomb mark in the receiver cutout, but forgot to pic it. Never even oiled or finished. Minty condition, with basic storage dust and slight storage marks from sitting somewhere for the last 60+ years. Marked with a large H in the butt. Made by Harrington Richardson. I'm not an expert on the T44E4, so take a look at pics and ask any questions. Super hard to find. $950 plus actual UPS shipping/insurance.

Must respond "I'll take it" and follow up with a notice.
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Musical instrument Tool
Musical instrument Wood Font Automotive exterior Auto part
Wood Tints and shades Audio equipment Wood stain Hardwood
Sleeve Blade Axe Wood Human leg
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Wood stain Hardwood
Sleeve Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Wood stain
Rectangle Wood Sleeve Font Automotive exterior
Wood Material property Rectangle Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory

No international shipping.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I'm not an expert on the T44E4, so take a look at pics and ask any questions.
Neat stock and I have not seen one like it. I know this is a classified ad, and not a discussion thread, but in defense of the historical record re the T44E4 topic, that is technically speaking an early M14 stock - probably made in 1959 or early 1960. (It is not a T44E4 stock made in 1955). The first order of about 15k M14s were made in late 1959/early 1960 by Springfield Armory, all of which utilized the M1 Garand buttplate, after which they switched to the ‘flapper’ buttplate. (These early M14s also had wooden handguards, before the early ventilated fiberglass units were standardized in 1960).

In contrast, there were only 510 original T44E4 rifles made in the spring of 1955, and thus far I have seen only two original T44E4 stocks. (A few more might exist, but haven’t turned up on this forum). They use a unique stock liner with a metal protrusion at the mag well - and there is a corresponding recess cut in the wood at the front of the mag well. Your stock lacks that T44E4 recess cut, so it’s just an early M14 stock. (The SA drawing was changed in 1956 or 58’ to omit the unique aspect of the T44E4 stock liner, before production of the M14 began in 1959). If curious, this link has pics of what I am describing, and two original T44E4 stocks are shown in this thread (my stock was later modified by Springfield Armory for the T44E6 program, circa 1957-58).
Thread on just the unique T44E4 stock liner - please see pics in post 13:
Btw, if your stock was indeed made by H&R, it would presumably be a very early pilot stock when they were bidding on the then new M14 contract, and by the time they started making M14s, the flapper buttplate was utilized as standard. Fwiw, I recall reading that during H&Rs bankruptcy liquidation sale in the mid-1980s, various “tool room” and prototype rifles (including a few legally transferable, select-fire M14s) were sold off, so perhaps that old stock was part of that “tool room” stuff? - again, just a theory assuming it was made by H&R. It’s unusual.

Again, my apologizes for posting in a classified ad, but I hope this info is useful for both the seller and a prospective buyer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A rare beast either way. Fascinating that this stock has remained "in the wild" and untouched for so many decades. Beyond my means to even consider it, but the photos and other info have been great to read!

I hope it goes to a "good home" and to someone who'll build a fitting tribute rifle around it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the update. Even at my age, I appreciate learning something new all the time. Hopefully all of that knowledge you have, is getting written down someplace so that we all can learn. Best Regards... Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts