M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received an SWFA 1-6x24mm for testing and evaluation.

My first impression when handling the scope is that it feels very solid and well-built. For it's size, the heft and weight is stout at 22.4oz.

This particular model is one of SWFA's MRAD lineup with elevation and windage of 10mils per revolution with each click having a value of .1 Mrad. While SWFA's website claims a total of 35mils for both elevation and windage, the sample they sent me has 41.2mils of elevation. Both knobs are resettable to zero. The clicks are fairly positive and definite. Yes, I have felt knobs that had a more solid "thunk" to them when adjusting, but I do not see these adjustments being a problem.

The 30mm main tube has a matte black finish The turrets are of the covered type with screw-off caps. The reticle is illuminated with the rheostat on the left side of the turret housing. The rheostat has 11 brightness settings. An excellent feature is that there is a setting in between each numbered value. Every one of these "in between" settings is an "off" position. No running the knob all the way around to turn it off or get to the appropriate setting. The illumination uses a CR2032 battery and the knob has an outer section that holds a spare battery. The scope was shipped with 2 batteries.

The main section of the eyepiece is the focus adjustment and features a locking ring.

The scope came with 2 metal shims that can function as a zero stop.

Reticle:

The reticle features a free-standing .15Mrad dot in the center with lines spaced at .5Mrad intervals. The lines themselves are of 3 different lengths of .4, .8 and 1.6.

The reticle is in the First Focal Plane. As you dial below 6x, a circle appears around the reticle. When the illumination is used, the center part of the reticle and the circle are both illuminated. At 1x, the lit circle and center crosshair would function as an effective donut-type reticle setup for CQB and short range engagements.

Overall, the reticle is simple, well-designed and appears easy to use. I like the layout, but only range time will let me know how accurate it is.

Closeup of reticle subtensions:

Reticle at 6x:

Reticle at 1x:

I'll have more info and impressions after I get it to the range.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Man o man, I've been wanting one since the their release as an all around general purpose glass. Please let us know what you think, especially on our favorite platform!

I'd like to place one on a Bassett but sometimes I think the 6x would be kinda underglassing considering the m1a platform's extended range capabilities.

Please send us some pics!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be testing it on an 18" JP Enterprises LRP-07 in .308. It's a proven .5MOA platform when topped with my NF 2.5-10x32mm, so it's a good test bed. Really simple to mount a scope to, so no worries about issues there skewing the test.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Is that the SSHD16X24D ?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've been running one on a 3-gun/precision build for a few months now. Love it. Great for shooting targets and steel, even at range. Lacks magnification for shooting tiny groups.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thank you.

I'll have to keep my eye on the sample list.

Hey, I don't suppose you could scuff that up a bit before you send it back, could you?GI2

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
This looks like a great scope.

I really like that reticle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts