M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy shooting with irons just as much as an optic for most of my rifles. I have an EBR mod 1 set up with an Aimpoint at the moment, but find it difficult to switch to irons. Although I have the Aimpoint on a quick release mount, I find it impossible to get my cheek low enough to use irons with the Mod 1 cheek riser. I'm currently using the .50" riser and it is perfect for the aimpoint.

Do experienced Mod 1 users have a quick and easy way to switch to irons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I use a Bassett side mount for optics and the entire mount comes off and the irons are in plain view.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the optic on a QD so getting that out of the way isn't the issue. My problem is getting my cheek low enough to use irons with the Mod 1 cheek riser.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have the same problem. I have to move my face real low on the cheek rest to get a good line of sight with my irons. Very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Heres what I do, I use to have an Aimpoint on my Mod1 with a see through ring
and .5 inch riser.
I would extend my stock open all the way, then crane my head around so my cheek
could rest on the buffer tube. It worked for me
results for you may vary

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Heres what I do, I use to have an Aimpoint on my Mod1 with a see through ring
and .5 inch riser.
I would extend my stock open all the way, then crane my head around so my cheek
could rest on the buffer tube. It worked for me
results for you may vary
I'm guessing he's talking about the standard ALCS without the buffer tube.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I enjoy shooting with irons just as much as an optic for most of my rifles. I have an EBR mod 1 set up with an Aimpoint at the moment, but find it difficult to switch to irons. Although I have the Aimpoint on a quick release mount, I find it impossible to get my cheek low enough to use irons with the Mod 1 cheek riser. I'm currently using the .50" riser and it is perfect for the aimpoint.

Do experienced Mod 1 users have a quick and easy way to switch to irons?

Thanks.
What butt stock are you using?

I have the Magpul CTR and a 1.25" riser, all I do is remove the riser and the stock is the perfect height.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Wow, noob festival!

I kid I kid

Removal of cheek piece is needed for use of irons on a mk14 model 1 style EBR.

I hope you didn't bruise your eye bones trying that.

Another option is to get a Warne qd low ring. The aim point won't need a cheek riser!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Removal of cheek piece is needed for use of irons on a mk14 model 1 style EBR.
^ This ^

This is one reason why the Wilcox Docter Sight mount was created for Nightforce rings. The irons are impossible to use without ripping the cheek piece and the Larue mount off on the actual Mod 1. It's quicker to tilt the rifle 45 degrees and use the edge of the rail like a shotgun rib.

The sights it was designed around (XS front, large aperture rear, 3.5 MOA MRDS, and 2.5-10x NF optic with a giant 1 MOA center dot) all seem to be designed around hitting a man sized target out to about 300-400 yds as quickly as possible - it was certainly not a target rifle. The NF optic (or more specifically, the reticle) is a nod to the B.A.C. that Trijicon promotes. With both eyes open, you can practically use the scope like an EoTech sight if you've got the brightness cranked up or the front scope cap closed. Unfortunately, the last time I saw one of the original scopes was a year and a half ago... and the guy selling it knew what he had - I just finished paying it off.

Honestly, the budget was so limited, the Mod 0 irons were probably just left alone because they were already there. They're so slow to use that they aren't practical.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm going to try filing a small V in the top of my rear aperture and somehow extending the front sight by the thickness of the aperture ring. Might just be enough to be effective for minuter of chest for a couple hundred yds.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm going to try filing a small V in the top of my rear aperture and somehow extending the front sight by the thickness of the aperture ring. Might just be enough to be effective for minuter of chest for a couple hundred yds.
Kinda like the rain sights on an Elcan sight? I don't see how this will avoid the problem of the cheek riser and scope in the way. A ~1/8" higher sight notch in the rear will not compensate for your head being 1.25" higher. Learn to aim down the rail edge like a shotgun rib. It's really not too bad when you're only looking for minute of chest.

FWIW the Elcan sights work great out to about 20 yds.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Kinda like the rain sights on an Elcan sight? I don't see how this will avoid the problem of the cheek riser and scope in the way. A ~1/8" higher sight notch in the rear will not compensate for your head being 1.25" higher. Learn to aim down the rail edge like a shotgun rib. It's really not too bad when you're only looking for minute of chest.

double post, sorry

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

The idea is to have usable irons if you have to remove the scope and with my rear app in the lowest position I may not even have to add to the front sight post. The range will tell me as soon as I get a chance out get out there. I wasn't just thinking out loud on this. The alignment between the top of my rear sight and top of the front post is very comfortable with the cheek rest in it's lowest position, even with the rear app all the way down. I like the idea of at least being able to use the maximum sight radius I can and even possibly some range adjustment.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The idea is to have usable irons if you have to remove the scope and with my rear app in the lowest position I may not even have to add to the front sight post. The range will tell me as soon as I get a chance out get out there. I wasn't just thinking out loud on this. The alignment between the top of my rear sight and top of the front post is very comfortable with the cheek rest in it's lowest position, even with the rear app all the way down. I like the idea of at least being able to use the maximum sight radius I can and even possibly some range adjustment.
You mean cutting a notch in the top of the rear aperture for use like on the CSAT or ARMS sights?
http://www.northwesttactical.us.com/store/upper-receiver-parts/iron-sights/xs-csat-combat-sight-set.html
http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40L

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah I said Mod 1 and buffer tube, not talking about an ALCS
You are correct, I'm referring to the one with the buffer tube.

I think I found a solution:

http://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042638&CAT=8666

or
http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Battlelink-stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_3

plus

http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Battlelink-stocks/BATTLELINK-Adjustable-Cheek-Piece

I'm trying to decide which one to go with. None are cheap unfortunately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts