M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some advice if you will.

I'm reaching the end of 32-lbs of Radway Green 4895 that I've been using with acceptable success for my 145g, 150g, and 168g M1A loads. So I'm going to need to switch over to a different powder soon and would like to know what if anything I can expect might be different, or what to watch for, concerning these other choices. I have the following other powders that I can use ...

IMR 4895
WC 844
WC 846
IMR 4064

I've already tried the 844 vs the 846 in my AR (223) behind a 62g SS109 equivalent bullet, and think I will keep the 844 for 223. And since, according to the powder burn-rate chart that I have been referencing, 846 is much closer to IMR 4895 than to IMR 4064 I'm wondering if I should watch our for anything special when using IMR 4064 since it is apparently (much?) slower than the others.

I'll be shooting these new loads from both a SAI M1A Loaded with a 22" SS match BBL, and a Fulton/CMP M14 build with a 18.5" chrome-lined match BBL.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I find that 4064 is not that much slower than the 4895s. Then again I'm using Varget these days.

The only thing to watch for is that 4064 is a big chunky powder and does not meter well. Trickling is needed if you want accurate loads.

·
Registered
860 Posts
IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 are both very acceptable powders. Matter of preference and availability I would think. One thing though IMR 4895 does seem to meter better in a powder thrower. IMR 4064 is a longer powder.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just a question on the RG4895.
Did you find it to have a huge muzzle flash?
I shot 16lbs of it and it had a tremendous muzzle flash in everything I used it in.
223, 308 and 30-06.
Fairly accurate in spite of the big balls of flame.
At one match they accused me of trying to burn the targets down.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a question on the RG4895.
Did you find it to have a huge muzzle flash?
I shot 16lbs of it and it had a tremendous muzzle flash in everything I used it in.
223, 308 and 30-06.
Fairly accurate in spite of the big balls of flame.
At one match they accused me of trying to burn the targets down.
Yes. At a local M1 Garand match I was asked to drop the load charge down a grain or so because they were seeing this huge fireball and assumed I had just arbitrarily loaded a very hot load, you know, cause it's just cool man GI2 ... so I had to tell them that it was just the powder and that the load was fine. I believe I was using 44.0g behind a 168g OTM that got it up to just over 2600 FPS. Definitely puts on a show.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You and me with the RG 4895. I have loaded for two .308 bolt guns and two .308 gas guns with that stuff (one bolt and one gas belong to a close friend). I am down to my last 4 lbs. Using 168 gr OTMs throughout, I had worked out 3 recipe streams for the 4 rifles.

I am looking seriously at the IMR 8208 XBR. The burn rate is in the right neighborhood. The stuff is very resistant to thermal extremes. It is a fine grain, probably suitable for vol. throwers on progressive presses. And, it seems to be available, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Stick with 4895 and 4064. Either one will work perfect just start low and work your way up. There are a couple threads on the 8208 XBR Most people said to avoid using that powder in a M1A/M14...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stick with 4895 and 4064. Either one will work perfect just start low and work your way up. There are a couple threads on the 8208 XBR Most people said to avoid using that powder in a M1A/M14...
Thanks for the tip. There is a bunch of info on the M14Forum site here on the 8208 powder use in Bolts, ARs, SOCOMs, and M1As. I went back through the threads going back to 2010. Judging by the hive, 8208 did not seem to be so bad a choice.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You and me with the RG 4895. I have loaded for two .308 bolt guns and two .308 gas guns with that stuff (one bolt and one gas belong to a close friend). I am down to my last 4 lbs. Using 168 gr OTMs throughout, I had worked out 3 recipe streams for the 4 rifles.

I am looking seriously at the IMR 8208 XBR. The burn rate is in the right neighborhood. The stuff is very resistant to thermal extremes. It is a fine grain, probably suitable for vol. throwers on progressive presses. And, it seems to be available, relatively speaking.
Be careful using the IMR 8208 XBR on heavier projectiles. It tends to have pressure spikes. anything from 150 and lower it should work ok. Keep in mind, that it isn't as critical for your bolt guns, or even an AR-10 as it is for an M-1A or Garand....

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yes. At a local M1 Garand match I was asked to drop the load charge down a grain or so because they were seeing this huge fireball and assumed I had just arbitrarily loaded a very hot load, you know, cause it's just cool man GI2 ... so I had to tell them that it was just the powder and that the load was fine. I believe I was using 44.0g behind a 168g OTM that got it up to just over 2600 FPS. Definitely puts on a show.
I never experienced any of the fireballs reported on the web. Perhaps since I loaded somewhat lighter, 2550 fps. I'm down to my last remaining 400 rounds from 24lbs I bought and will need to find a new load too.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Nothing wrong with 8208 it is just a little bit fast burning for heavier bullets in 308 caliber so velocities aren't that great, it's better for 223 loads. 23.2 with a 77SMK for example.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts