M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to try the CASM scope mount. Thought I share a couple of pictures with you guys. Hoping to visit the range this weekend and zero it again.

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
Is that supported just at the rear sight base, like the old Mini-14 SK mounts? Looks like the front has a screw just for contact with the receiver ring. Appears a little fragile for mounting on a rugged chassis such as that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that supported just at the rear sight base, like the old Mini-14 SK mounts? Looks like the front has a screw just for contact with the receiver ring. Appears a little fragile for mounting on a rugged chassis such as that.
That’s a pretty accurate comparison! I had issues with the Sage Cantilevered Mount staying in place and wanted to try it out. Time will tell if it was worth it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Also interested in your experience, in particular with stability in case of hypothetical impact that would torque the back of the scope down and the front of the scope up, away from the front contact point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it does not work out for you, I would suggest a Sadlak mount to replace it. Rugged as the dickens and stable as a mule.
The only reason I didn’t go with Sadlak is an interference issue. I’d have to have the rearmost rail sections removed to clear and I wasn’t trying to avoid it.

SEI offers a new top plate with the “Smith Cut” to accommodate that type mount but I believe they’re only available in black.

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
Another option to consider for the future might be a Bula XM21 receiver that has the rail machined as part of the receiver. They were engineered to work with your chassis and the rail is at compatible height.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another option to consider for the future might be a Bula XM21 receiver that has the rail machined as part of the receiver. They were engineered to work with your chassis and the rail is at compatible height.
Sounds like an excellent justification for a new build.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Sounds like an excellent justification for a new build.
You can also just think if it as a metamorphosis in an an evolution. The first rifle was a beginning of process that split into two complimentary, but different, entities. Half of it inherits the shell of the Sage to becomes a fully integrated EBR with the best possible scope mount, and the other half inherits the body to become something else, maybe walnut, birch, McMillan, or modified fiberglass, or ... opportunity awaits 💪

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,089 Posts
The only reason I didn’t go with Sadlak is an interference issue. I’d have to have the rearmost rail sections removed to clear and I wasn’t trying to avoid it.

SEI offers a new top plate with the “Smith Cut” to accommodate that type mount but I believe they’re only available in black.
You could have the top re-anodized in grey, lord of war619 had some done and they came out great. The only scope mount I could ever use would be either the SEI or Sadlak. My MOD 0 top was cut for the scope mount, some were and some weren't apparently.
m14brian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You could have the top re-anodized in grey, lord of war619 had some done and they came out great. The only scope mount I could ever use would be either the SEI or Sadlak. My MOD 0 top was cut for the scope mount, some were and some weren't apparently.
m14brian
Did some research here on LoW619 and have lots to consider.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,089 Posts
For you new guys, that is stuff we are not supposed to be talking about, the Mods and XXIV Corps will not be happy about it being brought up, I might edit your post. Us older members were there and it was a $hiite show, don't want to relive it. No dog either and not being judgy, just trying to help.
m14brian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For you new guys, that is stuff we are not supposed to be talking about, the Mods and XXIV Corps will not be happy about it being brought up, I might edit your post. Us older members were there and it was a $hiite show, don't want to relive it. No dog either and not being judgy, just trying to help.
m14brian
‘Nuff said!! I’ve edited my post and will let the past stay there. Thanks for the advisement.

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
232 Posts
I had a Sadlak Airborne and switched to the CASM myself. The CASM's 4-point hold seems better (to me) than a single screw in the side of the receiver + some support from a stripper clip guide rail that was never designed to hold weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts