M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions, I found a SWFA SCOPE HD for about 600, i still don't understand the differences between that and the standard SWFA SCOPE. I read somewhere that its they are more rubost threw and threw then there other scope and the glass is better. I also read that a human eye cannot perceive the difference.

I live in the middle of New Mexico lots of wide open spaces. I love my M1a... CMshoot was saying that HD glass is better at long range, got me thinking.

Also how does this scope stack up to other fixed power scopes, I hears someone say that the same quality of scope is 3x to 2x times the cost for features.

This is not a thread about how i need a variable power scope. I like robustness and simpleness period.

Anyway like everyone else out here i got to take my chicken scratch last as long as possible.

Also thanks for always squaring me away fellas.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I put the 'standard' one on mine (10x42) and am very pleased with it for what I have used it for, so far. I seem to feel it is more than adequate for a hunter or plinker but target shooting on the 20 dot feel I could sure use more power to see those dots!

Reactions: daniel17319

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the 'standard' one on mine (10x42) and am very pleased with it for what I have used it for, so far. I seem to feel it is more than adequate for a hunter or plinker but target shooting on the 20 dot feel I could sure use more power to see those dots!
What do you mean dots how far away are they just out of curiosity

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
What do you mean dots how far away are they just out of curiosity

Look at the '20 Dot' competition thread here on this site daniel...

I shoot @ 100 meters and think they are like 1/4" dia in a 1" ring...

When I have some money am thinking I will try a SS20x42

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Daniel
You got me thinking again
I buy variable power scopes , when most affordable scopes are designed on the second focal plane and moved around the parallelax moves the point of impact
To combat this I sight in on the max multiplication power of the scope and leave it there ...
Buying a fixed power scope makes sense
I'm going to keep my eye on this thread

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
The HD model has better glass quality and IMHO it is worth it. Should always be worth 500-600 used so you won't lose money on it either. Just make sure the seller has some feedback on ebay/ar15.com/sniper's hide or someplace else so you know they aren't a scammer.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just not a good enough reason nowadays to get a fixed power scope. If the US Marine Corps finally dumped the fixed 10x Unertl (arguably the most robust optic ever made) in favor of a variable powered scope, that shows their faith in the design.

A variable is just more versatile in every way.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just not a good enough reason nowadays to get a fixed power scope. If the US Marine Corps finally dumped the fixed 10x Unertl (arguably the most robust optic ever made) in favor of a variable powered scope, that shows their faith in the design.

A variable is just more versatile in every way.
Im not pro on this stuff, and i wish i lived closer to were your at to take a class form you, heh i may go up their anyway this summer but anyway.

Scout Snipers in the Marine Core are bad ass, I'm sure they can spend whatever money they want on scopes. From what i understand you can't shoot stuff up close with a fixed power, personally that doest bother me. I have a 2001 for ranger, all manual. I sure do love that truck better then my Hyundai Santa Fe, both reliable cars. My ford is simple and nothing can break. I see is as my money going further with simpler things especially scopes. Seems that all you need a fixed power scope when its all said and done. The main reason is the retitle. I use to use Mil Dot reticle to call for fire in the Army, i have no experience behind a sniper rifle. But it seems the same for judging distance and all.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
If the US Marine Corps finally dumped the fixed 10x Unertl (arguably the most robust optic ever made) in favor of a variable powered scope, that shows their faith in the design.
As I posited in the OP's other thread--not sure why a new thread was started--the design of variable power scopes is not at issue. At the same price-point, though, fixed power scopes will generally have better glass than variables. Doesn't mean you can't get the same quality glass in a variable, just means you end up paying more $$$.

To the OP: if you found a scope you like for $600, just pick it up and use it. Stick with a mil-dot reticle if that's what you know. However, IMO, from the sounds of it the non-HD version of that same scope (~$300 new) will serve you just as well.

Oh, and to put things into perspective, I've got camera lenses I've spent nearly $2,000 on because of the "glass." And I believe them to have been very good purchases.

·
Premium Member
20,414 Posts
Im not pro on this stuff, and i wish i lived closer to were your at to take a class form you, heh i may go up their anyway this summer but anyway.

Scout Snipers in the Marine Core are bad ass, I'm sure they can spend whatever money they want on scopes. From what i understand you can't shoot stuff up close with a fixed power, personally that doest bother me. I have a 2001 for ranger, all manual. I sure do love that truck better then my Hyundai Santa Fe, both reliable cars. My ford is simple and nothing can break. I see is as my money going further with simpler things especially scopes. Seems that all you need a fixed power scope when its all said and done. The main reason is the retitle. I use to use Mil Dot reticle to call for fire in the Army, i have no experience behind a sniper rifle. But it seems the same for judging distance and all.
It is Marine Corps not " Core " thank you.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
With a bit of research on optics used around the world for military purposes, few are variables and few are more than 10x magnification, if any. Since WWII where great numbers of enemy were taken by sniper fire, the optics were single digit in magnification and mostly a simple post reticle. The U.S. was woefully behind the German and Russian sniper shooters in that war. The optics used then were crude compared to today and yet very successful in their pursuit of the enemy. It's not the wand but the wizard that creates the magic and same holds true today with whatever optic is used. Across the typical home yard a 10x scope is not an advantage and is not needed, but out to the 1000yd. target is very useable and gets the job done quite nicely. Crank up your variable scope to maximum power, say 16x and beyond, get in prone position with sling and see how it works at even the short range of 600yds, even worse at the 1000yd. line. You have to be one very "hard holder" to manage high power optics and only a very few can do that. Rarely will you see an experienced shooter at a long range match using super high magnification optics and complicated reticles. One could say that use a rest, bag, bi pod, etc., but that's not always available yet a proper adjusted sling is your portable bench rest and it's just you and the rifle and your skill. I tend to not give a lot of credit to those shooting off a bench, bag, bipod, but with the advent of so called F class it does provide a venue for those shooters due to age, sight issues, or new to the game opportunity to shoot at matches. I have an older Leupold MK4 10x that has not failed me to date and if I were to replace it would have the U.S. Optics 10x unit

·
Registered
28 Posts
USO

If you really want a fixed power, consider the US Optics 10st-tpal. The price has come down recently, should be able to get one for $1,200. You'd be spending a few hundred more, but the glass, the ruggedness and the turrets make it worth the extra money. Glass and precision adjustment are everything, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
HD, ED, Fluorite crystal, are all lenses that prevent "chromatic aberration" a slight color shift at high magnification. This would be more of an issue for photographers. Not really a big deal for rifle scopes. Very high magnification has its place with certain shooting disciplines like Benchrest and maybe F class.

I've started expanding my shooting from regular NRA XTC to including service rifle with 4X optics and F T/R class. As Instructor mentions, there's a big difference fron shooting off the bench at 100yds to actually using optics either "across the course" or on the ground with a bipod/pack/or sling in F T/R. The biggest drawback to the high magnification is mirage and/or shooter induced "wobble". But, I guess having a 25X scope with the latest Horus or multifangled retical does have certain bragging rights.

The SWFA SS 10X does have very good reviews, whether it's the HD or not. It should serve you well for the M1A, but a variable 3x9 or 3.5x10 would be a more usefull "all around" since you can shoot off hand, kneeling, seated, and prone more easily using the lower magnification.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a SWFA 3-9 HD and let me tell you best bang for the buck! I haven`t tried other glass, but this one is very clear. Thanksgiving is around the corner so don`t buy it for $600. I scored the 3-9 HD for about $450 on Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not understanding that statement at all.
Basically what I'm saying is, is that i used crummy binoculars and good ones to judge distances for arty strikes. The most important thing was the reticle. But then again i may not know what I'm talking about never been behind a sniper rifle. The reticle allows a person to make adjustments.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.