M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an SWFA 10x42 and read pretty good things about them.
Any experiences with this scope?

Either way I need a mount and 30mm rings. It will be going on a bush rifle...

I was looking at a gen 4 Springfield or sadlak mount but am not sure if I need tall or medium height rings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I believe the sadlak with the medium rings will be the best most cost effective setup for me...
250-500.00 for a mount is great and all but $150.00 sounds better.

Luckily brownells seems to have all the parts in stock

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I talk these up but i now own three sets of the warne maxima rings. They are similar to the larue which believe is the best way of mounting.

You tighten the bottom screws tight then light apply even torque to the top screws.

Best steel rings for the money.

For my precision rifle i chose badger and nightforce rings and mount.

Id look at an arms18 with med warne rings.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm not a fan of awkwardly high set ups. I've got an SWFA 10x42 on my EBR and I like it a lot using the Sage mount and LOW, Weaver, 6 Hole, tactical rings. I started with SWFA HIGH rings and that was totally unsatisfactory! But your answer lies in the combination of specific rifle, mount used and rings chosen. Hard to pick one or the other without knowing what they'll be used with.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
A Bassett or an ARMS #18 both work great , both are reasonable priced.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've had that scope on my Remington 700 PSS since 2004, accurate and solid right from the beginning.

BTW, I had the pleasure of showing how good it was in front of a few execs from U.S. Optics once, while shooting next to them. They were amazed by its accuracy and gave me their cards, I complimented them on making the Unertl 10X scopes for our USMC M40A1's.

But I also told them that at $2,500 per scope for the civilian market, that it was a bit overpriced. They seemed surprised at the bluntness of my comment, but responsive as well. Prices still stayed the same....guess they love their overpayed salaries more than their sales....

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
another vote for the Sadlak mount, I like the Maxima rings for their value, the TPS rings are good too. Sometimes you can get away with low rings depending on the position of the scope and if you're willing to allow the scope end bell to block the irons sight path.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the kind folks aren't returning my calls from Bassett

Sadlak aluminum mount it is!

Sucks because I like the simplicity of the Bassett.

I am Still considering lows...could go mediums with a Bradley cheek rest?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,302 Posts
Mount

I've found that the Sadlak mount and TPS low rings works well with that scope. It's about as low as you can get on the M14 platform.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts