M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
looks awesome to me! specially since it's got a USGI bolt and barrel installed..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Poly

Did it have a Sadlak mount too? That was a good find. Make sure your bolt headspaces. Last 2 Polys I bought with bolt conversions the bolt would'nt close. Had to be fitted, but since this one has a different barrel I would venture to say you're gtg.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sadlak mount is also included. its always a gamble buying things without getting to put your hands on them first but i felt it was worth the gamble on this one especially with the gi bolt and barrel and mount. I asked them if they knew how to take it apart because I was curious if there was any other gi parts in her but the guys at the shop didnt have any knowledge on m14's or how to dissasemble it(which probably is why the price was so lowRNGR1) so I didnt press the issue and just figured ill find out when I get it. I will have to do something about that baby poop green stock maybe a desert pattern would be fitting

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
What kind of stock is that? It could be a GI fiberglass with what looks like a Garand buttplate, but there is not cutout for the hinged 14 buttplate. They must have filled the cutout.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You did just fine and got a good deal on an excellent rifle. When it comes in we can tell you how to pull the trigger group out to determine other USGI parts and anything else you may need to know. Odds are that the prior owner probably did it up right since it has a TRW bolt and a SAK barrel.

7th

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of stock is that? It could be a GI fiberglass with what looks like a Garand buttplate, but there is not cutout for the hinged 14 buttplate. They must have filled the cutout.
Im not sure. maybe its a springer or a gi with cutout filled. it is odd looking though Ill probably throw her in a walnut if the stocks too nasty looking in person.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You did just fine and got a good deal on an excellent rifle. When it comes in we can tell you how to pull the trigger group out to determine other USGI parts and anything else you may need to know. Odds are that the prior owner probably did it up right since it has a TRW bolt and a SAK barrel.

7th
i bet it was put together rite, thats what Im hoping for anyway hopefully theres no major surprises. I cant wait to get my hands on it and put it next to my heel marked poly.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I saw that one but failed to notice the markings on the bolt! (duh!)

I was bidding on this one earlier

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271769497

I emailed the seller and he told me it was heel marked. I've been wanting a heel marked,

Couldn't justify going over the nine hundred (delivered) mark though.

I know you jumped on it thinking one of these guys were going to grab it, with the buy it now price it wouldn't have lasted much longer

·
Registered
252 Posts
It would have been better to have been all original chinese parts then you could have replaced everything except the receiver, that way you get to choose the replacement parts.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw that one but failed to notice the markings on the bolt! (duh!)

I was bidding on this one earlier

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271769497

I emailed the seller and he told me it was heel marked. I've been wanting a heel marked,

Couldn't justify going over the nine hundred (delivered) mark though.

I know you jumped on it thinking one of these guys were going to grab it, with the buy it now price it wouldn't have lasted much longer
I was watching the norinco you bid on as well but refrained from bidding as there was alot of interest in it and no buy now and didnt want to get caught in a bidding war. theres a heel marked poly on GB i bid on a few minutes before I came across this poly. the seller has a reserve and my 800 didnt hit it( i bet its up there). when I saw the markings on this ones bolt it really sparked my interest and thought that this was one of those rare listings where the seller doesnt really know much about the gun or the upgrades. as soon as he responded to my questions about bolt and barrel markings I zoomed to the auction and ended it with buy now. I wasnt going to risk someone snatching it out from under me for a few more bucks. My obsesive gunbroker searching finally paid off.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would have been better to have been all original chinese parts then you could have replaced everything except the receiver, that way you get to choose the replacement parts.
yeah but bone stock poly's with no upgrades are going for what I paid and It doesnt get much better than a trw bolt and sak chrome lined barrel I wouldve chose those anyway and it woulda cost me around 600 for those parts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good deal! It looks like its the whole USGI conversion over. I bet the sights are USGI too. I have a poly tech IDE import too and the original sights are awful. The elevation shaft is undersized with crappy thread pitch, some of which have stripped off. The peep sight moves around like it's doing the jitter-bug and the wind age thread won't grab a USGI elevation shaft. The other thing left is the sight block and the retainer plate...whats the point! USGI sight conversion for me.

Anyway nice score! You still can get USGI stocks for $35 from the CMP and refinish them to awesome condition. You might be able to get that green paint of with some effort, you might have a nice Springfield stock.

Great score! Good luck with it! Like some one else said, the original base value of the Polytech was $400 and you have at least $600 in upgrade USGI parts not to mention Gunsmithing bill, gas money, many gun show money entry costs, and lots of your time. Good score!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.