M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Springfield M1a with the ground off bayonet lug. I have one with a bayonet lug to replace it. using the castle nut pliers is it possible to remove the flash hider or do i need to get the services of gunsmith.....looks like its pressed on...any advise folks??

Tony Brown

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
There is a set screw you need to first loosen out of the way for the castle nut to turn. See Tonyben's video. See tonyben3 on youtube. He must have a video on that.

But this is a task a regular joe can do. It's almost step #1 of the ensuing M14 madness we all dig.

If the set screw is bound up it might be the castle nut so you might need to back it off some pressure before the screw moves.

Welcome aboard!

·
Forum Jester
7,401 Posts
are ya looking to stab somebody?

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is a set screw you need to first loosen out of the way for the castle nut to turn. See Tonyben's video. See tonyben3 on youtube. He must have a video on that.

But this is a task a regular joe can do. It's almost step #1 of the ensuing M14 madness we all dig.

If the set screw is bound up it might be the castle nut so you might need to back it off some pressure before the screw moves.

Welcome aboard!
I think I owned my Loaded maybe 2 day or two before I ordered a lugged flash hider. I waited a month or so before I swapped it.

I followed the steps and advice given here and I swapped with zero issues. Get quality castle nut pliers. Yes, you'll rarely ever use them again, but how mad would you be if you botch up the job and scratch up a pricey rifle because you saved a few bucks on cheap pliers ?

Go for it !

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
As noted, look for the set screw up front, remove it, then turn the castle nut. Sometimes you have to lightly tap the FS off a bit to keep turning the nut, if its a tight fit, they usually aren't though. The rifle will look soooo much better than with the bald headed FS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your guidance. I was able to swap it out. Very easy.

Thanks again
Tony Brown

1 - 10 of 10 Posts