M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Six...

I have all kinds of different solvents in my pursuit of trying to get rid of copper and fouling... and generally, all of them work...

I have:

7.62 Sweets
Shooter's Choice
Shooter's Choice Copper Remover
Butch's Bore Shine
JB Bore Paste
JB Bore Shine
Kroil
Hoppes #9

7.62 Sweets is nasty stuff! And, can react badly with other chemicals, so realizing this, I make sure the bore is dry before using another product...

I want to try FOUL OUT #3 with the rod and wires to help pull out stubborn copper. But when I tried to order it, I got the "We don't send that to Hawaii/Alaska" message... so I lucked out there... :cry:

I have also used the Tubbs Final Finish... and as a barrel prep, it has worked really well. Now cleaning in that barrel is a snap!

Aloha and I hope this helps some...

Tom O.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Redbone wrote: "I like that smell".

Funny you say that, but the smell of Hoppes #9 seems to be a universal agreement among us gun owners :D . The other smell that I love is Australian Coachwood like what was used on the SMLEs and L1A1s from SAF Lithgow. It is a very unusual sweet smelling wood. My wife just does not understand :wink: .

But about the topic I use Shooters Choice, Hoppes, and 7.62 Solvent. Depends on what mil surp and how much I have shot that day.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use Hoppe’s No. 9 to clean (I like the smell too) and Shooters Choice copper solvent to remove copper. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner to blast all the crud away once I’ve scrubbed it all off (no sense in keeping it in the weapon). I’ll then blow all the brake cleaner off with the air hose. Once this is done everything is clean but the metal is completely dry. I was using RIG oil in the aerosol can, but I’m really liking CLP, I think it does a much better job of protecting the firearms. I’ll apply the CLP to the dry metal, oil and grease as necessary.

Note: I have yet to hose down any blued weapon with the brake cleaner. I’m not sure what it might do to the finish and don’t really want to find out the hard way that it isn’t harmless.

Best regards, T

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I use Hoppe's #9 & Sweet's 7.62

dighawaii wrote,
I want to try FOUL OUT #3 with the rod and wires to help pull out stubborn copper. But when I tried to order it, I got the "We don't send that to Hawaii/Alaska" message... so I lucked out there...

Would using a Foul Out remove any chrome from a chrome lined bore?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My name is Mike and I'm a Hoppe-holic. I started at the age of 8 picking up the patches off the work bench in the cellar and sniffing them. Then I progressed to taking secret sniffs out of my fathers bottle. At first he didn't notice. When he finally did, I asked for my own gun so I'd have a reason to own the stuff. To make a long story short, now I'm middle aged and find I've probably wasted my chance...... Nothing to do with the Hoppe's. I still use though. Don't do like I did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey six,

Since the "with what" has been covered on bore cleaning, I thought I would mention the best "how" that I have ever found.

Using a rod with a Dewey female end, put on one of the VFG pellet adapters and then thread on a VFG felt pellet of the right caliber, in this case the 7.5mm. Super cleaning, polishing, and oiling is easy this way. Makes patches look barbaric.

Only downside is the expense of this German-made cleaning system, but personally, nothing is too good for my barrels.

If this link doesn't work since it is a searched item, check/search Brownells.

Brownells search Results

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Six...

I have all kinds of different solvents in my pursuit of trying to get rid of copper and fouling... and generally, all of them work...

I have:

7.62 Sweets
Shooter's Choice
Shooter's Choice Copper Remover
Butch's Bore Shine
JB Bore Paste
JB Bore Shine
Kroil
Hoppes #9

7.62 Sweets is nasty stuff! And, can react badly with other chemicals, so realizing this, I make sure the bore is dry before using another product...

I want to try FOUL OUT #3 with the rod and wires to help pull out stubborn copper. But when I tried to order it, I got the "We don't send that to Hawaii/Alaska" message... so I lucked out there... :cry:

I have also used the Tubbs Final Finish... and as a barrel prep, it has worked really well. Now cleaning in that barrel is a snap!

Aloha and I hope this helps some...

Tom O.
I of course have that whole list with the Boee shine being a recent addition. If I do use the bore shine it does seem to make the next cleaning somewhat easier, or so I tell myself. I do like the tag line of Kroil, the oil that creeps.
#9 i buy it by the quart now. and if i find a girl who likes the smell i'm gonna marry her.
Too late I already found her married over 25 years

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.