1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
For the money I do not think you can go wrong. Down side it only uses (3) AA batteries and its not digital. I would think the run time would be short on batteries. If the sun is out or do not mind cranking your ok. I partial to radios made by Grundig.

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered one of these and it just arrived. Pretty neat little gadget. Just arrived. Will tinker with it tomorrow. A bit more compact that I imagined. But that is OK.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Third on Grundig!
Yes, a nice digital Grundig with the multi power features would be nice. But I did not want to spend the several hundred dollars.

This "HQ" Sportsmans Guide house brand is just a repackaged Grundig FR250. For about half the price. The peculiar multi option battery bay is identical. The face of the case is slightly rearranged and says HQ. Probably all made be the same Chicom factory.

Anyway, for the money it is great. Pulls in SW from all over the world. Recharges on solar or hand crank. USB in and out power etc etc. Has a resident rechargeable battery pack, and a bay for a separate set of 3 AA batteries (rechargeable per my installation).

It is smaller that I thought it would be, which is better. Very handy size.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My wind-up Grundig is about 20 years old and I keep it in an anti-static envelope inside a 20mm ammo can. Every rime I take it out for a test, it still works. So, yeah, I'll stick my neck out and say #4 on the Grundig.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My wind-up Grundig is about 20 years old and I keep it in an anti-static envelope inside a 20mm ammo can. Every rime I take it out for a test, it still works. So, yeah, I'll stick my neck out and say #4 on the Grundig.
Keeping it in a Faraday cage would be even better!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I use a eton, it's solar or hand chrank. Has flashlight and weather band radio. AM/FM as well. etoncorp.com. Also has USB port to charge your phone with the crank. The main selling point for me was this one doesn't use batteries.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
got my survival radio today.
did a lot of reading. then waiting.
i got a new in the box baygen freeplay hand crank.
uses no batteries, you wind 55 times or so and have
20-25 min of play time. not made since the 90's.
is am/fm/shortwave. tried it out works well.
it winds a spring that runs the gen.
you can hear the gen and watch hand crank spin.
sounds good, is larger than i guessed and is 7 lbs.
i only found two shortwave channels so far. one in
spanish other in english. has a plug in input you can run
it with also. 3 to 9 volts input. so could add on solar.
i watched and waited and got it for $42.40 on ebay.
the new ones trend at around $75. i feel like i got a great
deal on it. if there is a EMP will not hurt it. news might
only be via shortwave.
Lruss

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Mine is an old Radio Shack Crank Radio here... Box is dirty!
Better one's are out there!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a couple of freeplay units, had to fix the governor on one a while back.
Have had them close to thirty years.
My primary receiver is a Yaesu FRG 100, mid level comm receiver.
It is fed with a 100 foot long wire and has DSP added to it.
It has no crank or solar, powered by a 12 volt marine battery with a float charger attached.
It will run for months without recharging.
One thing I would suggest whatever brand you buy, is that it has a BFO circuit for the shortwave bands.
Grundig and Sangean are pretty good.
Whatever you get make sure you get the wire extension antenna that clips on or plugs in.
There are interweb sites where you can find commercial station's schedules and operating frequencies. There are a lot out there.
Certain times of the day are best for reception, unlike medium wave which run all day and are local. With the right timing you can pull in stations from all over the world.
In theory you will find out events occurring locally that are blacked out to you.
Also much of C/D and FEMA use HF to communicate over distance in a disaster, no need for cell towers or landlines, point to point comm is the order, some may be FSK.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree

This is a small, portable unit. Not solar, but has a great standby battery life. I played with it for a few days, then put it up with the batteries installed. That was about 18 months ago, and the display is still active. This receiver with some rechargeable batteries (and a method of recharging when the grid is down) will provide great service.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am not familiar with the HQ ISSUE Multi-Band Dynamo & Solar Powered Radio. The one I would choose as a survival radio is more expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA600-Emergency-Flashlight-Real-Time/dp/B00MI51H9I

I am partial to the digital tuner and the 5 ways of charging the radio including rechargeable batteries.

If I wanted a cheap one the Tecsun Green-168 (Ebay) at around $20 it can be powered from 4 different sources:
- Built-in rechargeable Ni-MH battery (included)
- 3 x AA batteries (not included)
- DC USB Jack 5V
- Dynamo Crank alone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.