M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to store surplus ammo long term? Is it best to open the battle packs then inspect and put ammo lose in a USGI metal ammo can or leave it in the plastic battle packs?

·
Registered
558 Posts
What is the best way to store surplus ammo long term? Is it best to open the battle packs then inspect and put ammo lose in a USGI metal ammo can or leave it in the plastic battle packs?
Just keep it dry and generally out of extreme heat or rapidly changing temperature extremes. I favor basements over attics, as long as they are not too humid......GI1

I would leave the battle packs closed. Maybe inspect one, then leave the rest...

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just as all the above stated keep it Dry, No Extreme Temperatures and it will out last all of us
However, as far as Keeping it in the Original Battle Packs, For Me I will not, as I am the curious type and Anal
Everything has to go on to Stripper Clips and Card Boards
IE you can get 1960 of 5.56 on strippers in a SAW can

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I at least poke a hole in the battle packs... depending on how they were sealed, they may have been sealed up with moisture inside. Who knows?

For example, my Prvi BP's are not 'vacuum sealed,' there is obviously air in there, so I either take them out or poke a hole in the package. My RG cases have the foil lined packaging (by the case) so I just leave them be.

I store mine in .50cal ammo cans with a little desiccant, you can get roughly 450-550rds (depending on how they are boxed) into a single can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts