M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at picking up a few battle pack's of German DAG 147 Grain FMJ. The problem that I'm running into is I want to get my zero dialed in with match ammo but am having trouble finding match grade 147gr ammo with similar ballistics. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Zero you gun with Mach ammo and memorize the Kentucky windage for the the 147 grain load. My problem is the 147 grain surplus I have shoots into a pie plate sized group, even out of guns that will shoot MOA with Federal match.

Basically the 147 grain surplus is WALKING DEAD ammo, waiting for the zombies and time to crack out the 25 round M1A magazines...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zero you gun with Mach ammo and memorize the Kentucky windage for the the 147 grain load. My problem is the 147 grain surplus I have shoots into a pie plate sized group, even out of guns that will shoot MOA with Federal match.

Basically the 147 grain surplus is WALKING DEAD ammo, waiting for the thugs and time to crack out the 25 round M1A magazines...
Excellent way to explain it. I have a 0.3 MOA gun when shooting hornady A-max bullets but it turns into a 3-4 MOA gun with the 147 surplus bullets. Still fun to shoot but forget about accuracy.

Don't forget that bullet grain weight is just how heavy the projectile is. A match bullet will have a different shape and ballistic coefficient so it is going to fly differently even if the weight is the same as the surplus ammo.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Keep your windage and elevation adjustments noted in your rifle log book. Adjust rear sights according to what you are shooting. As long as the group is centered, you are good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts