M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at picking up a few battle pack's of German DAG 147 Grain FMJ. The problem that I'm running into is I want to get my zero dialed in with match ammo but am having trouble finding match grade 147gr ammo with similar ballistics. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was looking at picking up a few battle pack's of German DAG 147 Grain FMJ. The problem that I'm running into is I want to get my zero dialed in with match ammo but am having trouble finding match grade 147gr ammo with similar ballistics. Anybody have any suggestions?
There is no "match grade" ammo with 147 grain bullets.

Although "match grade" is somewhat subjective, match ammo for the M14 uses bullets in the 168 grain range. M118LR uses 175 grain SMK bullets, and by all accounts could be construed as "match grade". 147 grain bullets take too much wind at the 600 yard line to be effective... They are, in general, a 300 yard and under battle round and are not designed to take out cheerios much further beyond that...

Its apples and oranges....What are you trying to accomplish....?

The dillemma ultimately is this... Whatever ammo you use to zero your rifle will require a change in zero for a different variation of ammo. You cant zero your rifle with 147 DAG and expect the same zero with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match and you cant do vice versa...

Pick the ammo that you are going to shoot in whatever capacity (hunting, competition, self defense, etc...) and use that ammo in the event. Conversely just learn what your different rifle zeros are for different brands or variations of ammo. Make a notebook...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts