M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Ya all know I went Full Stupid and Shattered my Heel doing the Christmas Light thing .
I had My Surgery this Past Tuesday . . I went to the Prep room around 12:30pm . I remember Tammy picking me up around 6:30 -7pm . But I really do not know .
They put a plate and 2 screws in my foot . the anesthesia wore off around Wednesday 4am . It hurt worse than my neck surgery with a plate and 6 screws .
I started to take my pain meds as prescribed . F that , those pills made me sweat , shiver , shake , puked , my teeth chattered for 15 minutes straight and out of what little mind I have left . and it aint stopping the pain . I am man enough to tell you My wife held me and I cried like a Baby . I have never felt pain like this before .

I do not know why anyone would ever want to eat pills and feel like that Good God Man . She called the Doctor and they gave me lesser pills . They did not stop the pain , at least I did not go through the above again . It is better and almost tolerable now
Just So you all know I am going to be the safest person ever
WOW
My Darn toes are the Size of Vienna Sausages
My Dags know I am hurting they have been uber caring to me and mindful of my foot ., They Do actually Know sense it

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
ok ya all know i went full stupid and shattered my heel doing the christmas light thing .
I had my surgery this past tuesday . . I went to the prep room around 12:30pm . I remember tammy picking me up around 6:30 -7pm . But i really do not know .
They put a plate and 2 screws in my foot . The anesthesia wore off around wednesday 4am . It hurt worse than my neck surgery with a plate and 6 screws .
I started to take my pain meds as prescribed . F that , those pills made me sweat , shiver , shake , puked , my teeth chattered for 15 minutes straight and out of what little mind i have left . And it aint stopping the pain . I am man enough to tell you my wife held me and i cried like a baby . I have never felt pain like this before .

I do not know why anyone would ever want to eat pills and feel like that good god man . She called the doctor and they gave me lesser pills . They did not stop the pain , at least i did not go through the above again . It is better and almost tolerable now
just so you all know i am going to be the safest person ever
wow
my darn toes are the size of vienna sausages
my dags know i am hurting they have been uber caring to me and mindful of my foot ., they do actually know sense it
speedy recovery brother quick tip you need the strong meds, with narcs there are ways around the side effects, have your doctor prescibe you zofran for the nausea and take a benadryl 30min before your pain meds you will find the combo comforting, when i give my patients pain meds like morphine or fentanyl, i always dose them with zofran and benadryl if needed

·
"Death From Above"
11,253 Posts
Hey bro, I have been MIA for the last couple of weeks. I had no clue you were injured. Sorry to hear this CPW. Those pain pills are hard to deal with. I got the same thing when they were prescribed after my back surgery. I took them as prescribed and damned near OD. Same thing shaking, shiver ect. Never again!!! I would rather take a sleeping pill and they are not that much easier to handle but at least you get to sleep. It is not good when pain wakes you up.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lord of War Thank you for that heads up , will remember that in the Future I must be me, Hardheaded . I am not sure what they gave me , I will ask Tammy . But never again I will cry in Agony before those Dopey feelings again . Tammy does not fully understand that with her holding me it made it more tolerable .Yes Guys I am a Big Baby . I look at pain as Gods , mother natures way of telling you to stop doing what you are doing , There way of telling you you were stupid and don't do that ever again , There way of telling you you are still alive and most importantly it feels so much better when your not in pain

SAUSAGE TOES

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
OUCH!!!

You Sure As Heck Have My Sympathy!

Hope You Recover Quickly And Fully !

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: charlesPOSTLEwade

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 other thing . This is a Major setback for obtaining my Union hours for insurance . Looks like I will have to walk picket to make up those hours . No we do not / cannot sit down while on picket . My Xmas present was a mobile knee Tricycle thingy . Works great and beats crutches .
But walking picket bites LOL .but then again strangers often bring us donuts and coffeeDI5DI5DI5

·
Premium Member
15,208 Posts
I learned my lesson about step ladders in July. Only fell about 8 feet but did a number on my left shoulder.
After surgery, I ran into the same trouble as you with the narcs. Stuff it.
As you, I realized God wanted me to learn my lesson.
No more freekin step ladders.
Off to physical therapy. another few months to go.
Good luck with your recovery. No matter how tough we try to make folks think we are , we are all babys inside. I feel your pain, as slick willie said.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Administrator
17,177 Posts
We all hope that you recover fully and quickly for shooting next summer charlesPOSTLEwade!

DI5

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
CPW, I had a similar surgery about 30 years ago. I only have one screw still in my left ankle. Did you tell your MD about your issue with the pain meds? People react differently to meds and he may be able to give you something different that will help the pain. Managing pain is very important to your recovery. If nothing the docs give you help there is nothing wrong with a little alcohol. They will want to leave all that metal in you. Try to get it out! Every time a firkin cold front moves thru my ankle hurts like the dickens. DO NOT PUT WEIGHT ON THAT FOOT TOO SOON!!! You could ad that to the list of things not to ever do.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CPW, I had a similar surgery about 30 years ago. I only have one screw still in my left ankle. Did you tell your MD about your issue with the pain meds? People react differently to meds and he may be able to give you something different that will help the pain. Managing pain is very important to your recovery. If nothing the docs give you help there is nothing wrong with a little alcohol. They will want to leave all that metal in you. Try to get it out! Every time a firkin cold front moves thru my ankle hurts like the dickens. DO NOT PUT WEIGHT ON THAT FOOT TOO SOON!!! You could ad that to the list of things not to ever do.
They did give me lesser meds . I drink maybe once or twice every year or two .last night Sailor Jerrys Rum and no meds slept until 5am . Which is sleeping in for me .
you know I keep thinking about what you told me some time ago . Something to the affect get out from under that Dark Cloud hovering over my head. LOL I need to appease Karma LOL
Art . Brother you have that right . One is never as stuff as one would like to think. . Ya know I used to be able to give and take a beating . I was an Expert at blocking punches with my face . This has brought me back in check with reality
Thank you my friend

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
We musta had the same pills, . . . or similar at least.

Never knew what "projectile vomiting" was all about until them, . . . never again.

Wishing the best for you, . . . this is one Christmas you won't soon forget.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Simply, just get better !

·
Registered
757 Posts
call your orthopedic surgeon, ask for a referral to the anesthesia department. see if they offer a pain clinic , maybe you can get in there and get a nerve block, and then get regular follow up treatment, until you don't need it any more. anesthesia isn't just for surgery anymore. more of you guys need to know this so you can take better care of yourselves pre and post operation.

yeah, pain is great, it's good knowing you're alive. but pain and inflammation prolong your healing time. do everything you can to help your body heal.

best of luck

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Hope Santa brings you something to take your mind of that for a bit. Get well quick and get back to it!

Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and better New Year!!USNA

·
Resident Rascal
13,354 Posts
I wish you a speedy recovery friend. My problem with narcotics was it caused constipation. Once I got off of them it sure felt good to get back to normal. I agree with Memphis, Gentleman Jack works very well.

As for metal, both my knees are metal. You will soon learn to forecast the weather better than the guys on TV. Cold weather makes me stiff like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts