M14 Forum banner

Supreme Court to the Rescue.

3119 70
Associate Justice Clarence Thomas wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority, holding that the New York law violated the Constitution and signaling other gun regulations disconnected from "historical tradition" would face similar scrutiny in court.

Thomas' opinion had the potential to upend the legal landscape around Second Amendment rights at a time when Americans remain divided over access to guns. Congress, meanwhile, is racing to pass a sweeping package of restrictions in response to recent mass shootings, including one at a Texas elementary school last month.

"We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need," Thomas wrote of the New York law. "It is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense."
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
Properly interpreted (they are now adding something that did not exist before yesterday...), the Second Amendment allows a ‘variety’ of gun regulations,” wrote Roberts and Kavanaugh, who also noted that states can still make applicants for a firearm license “undergo fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.”

This meets no standard threshold for rights secured by the Bill of Rights as applied to PEOPLE and not States. This interpretation gives new rights to States (NY included) to further erode the PEOPLE'S right with no consideration nor due process afforded to free speech, the right to vote, a jury trial nor any other amendment authored to restrain Federal nor State Government overreach.

This is a wholesale rewrite that will now live as "precedent", completely avoidable, outrageous and deliberately designed to serve as a springboard for further future regulation.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
Since the Obama years, I have seen news items about how first time gun buyers are often women and minority customers. These are folks who go to a gun shop, go through the background check/waiting period, and pay retail for a legal to own firearm. They are likely to go through some sort of permitting process where required.

Won't that make them legal gun owners who are also subject to liberal gun control regulations? Won't that make them more aware of and perhaps cherish the Second Amendment?

I would hope so.
My apologies in advance if I hit all the stops. I will try to be as fair as I can. If you are trying to understand Black voters - DON'T. I don't understand it to this day. It is my hobby research - been studying it a long time.

The stats = A good chunk half or so of Democrat voters are POCs: 95% black women and 2/3 of black men (1/3 are criminals/felons so cannot vote...yet). Without this vote, Democrats cannot win. Period. But Democrats can rely on this captive vote for a long time. Lyndon Johnson said -"will have n*gras voting Dem for next 200 years." Another hundred to go - and that will not likely change. Republicans have stopped talking to Black voters since 1920's - completely stopped since 1964. Democrats can call or talk to them anyway they want and will be tolerated. Many believe the KKK was started by Republicans. Gotta thank the Teachers' Union for that. Biden said - 'you ain't black if you don't vote Democrat' -shows you the arrogance what they think of that voter bloc. The Black Caucus is under the thumb of Democrats - they have the votes but they do as told.

As far as the benefits of the Second Amendment - I say go for it. They need it to defend themselves from other blacks..and the imaginary White Supremacy. Conservatives hold the line to defending the 2nd Amendment exclusively...while everybody else usurp its benefits. I am fine w/ that. We do not want to be accused of being ungenerous..and unkind. Even God extended HIS grace to the gentiles.

If you did not know Thomas Sowell is black, you will think he is a white supremacist when he talks of the predicaments of POCs. Trump tried to help and look what they did to him. Only thing w/ TRump - he highlighted 'how good they got it' w/ Democrats when he said -'What the hell do you have to lose'?...was more than they could bear - seen as insult. WE are suppose to just ignore and pretend everything is fine.

Fine by me -

Again - my apologies if I offended anyone.

· Registered
813 Posts
A couple of points. We have too many laws and far too many "admin codes" or whatever they are called in your neck of the woods. Non-elected bureaucrats make up "laws" and actually have their own enforcement and adjudication divisions. This is the fake branch of government that really sticks in my craw the most.
As far as new york goes they will not comply with the SCOTUS ruling-trust me. They already pushed through a new law that requires all guns sold in new york to be microstamped. new york says the process cost $3 per gun while gun rights organizations claim over $150. In biden dollars that is probably more like $300 which is sort of a de-facto gun ban in itself. Add that to the insane nyc fees and the fact that I can't think of anyone that I know in nyc that didn't have to hire an attorney to secure their permit. jim crow?
I haven't even gotten started on things like the re-construction amendments. The Jan 6th peaceful protest at the capitol in theory can cause districts to lose representatives and states to lose electors.
I am not a Constitutional scholar or a lawyer so feel free to eductate me if I am wrong.

I know it seems like I'm all over the map-Just venting

· Registered
374 Posts
FWIW, my prediction is the NY and all the other "may issue" states will fight in court to delay compliance as long as possible by continuing to enforce their existing laws, forcing a series of legal battles they know they'll lose but hope to make too expensive or hard for their citizens to win.

At the same time, they'll be working to pass new state laws that will dramatically increase the required training time, probably to include detailed training plans and very stringent marksmanship requirements. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 40 hours of mandatory classroom time with scored marksmanship tests equally or nearly equal to their own law enforcement academy standards. I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see them require each permit holder to also carry some sort of liability insurance specifically for firearms related incidents.

Finally, they will require much more stringent background checks, to include specific local and state along with NCIS and include requirements for some mental health professional screening / examinations along with the records and signed doctor's "certifications." These evaluations and certificates will be nearly impossible to get since these states will not also require medical professionals to provide this service nor indemnify them from civil lawsuits arising from incidents involving persons that they examined for the purpose of obtaining permits.

As someone noted, their own state permit fees will likely not go up much, but they will require applicants to pay for the expanded background checks, along with the mental health evaluations, and liability insurance. The costs of the professional firearms and marksmanship training will also be very high given the standards (and likely cost of state certification of instructors, which will also likely require instructor insurance and no state indemnification from civil lawsuits targeted at the instructors of permit holders who find themselves on the wrong side of the law).

In short, the progressive-liberal elites will continue to find a way to make carrying a handgun in those states as absolutely painful and expensive as possible to create obstacles and deterrences for their citizens.

· Registered
4,187 Posts
I live in West Virginia and we as a State do have issues that need to be corrected, but certainly not for any illegal gun laws for in fact we have zero laws regarding ownership of firearms. Open or concealed is the individual's choice and only recently can have a loaded rifle open in your vehicle as you travel. Would imagine our DNR (Department of Natural Resources) will supersede that ruling during hunting season, but that is fine with me. When we did have requirement for a CC permit and you met basic requirements as citizenship, resident, it was not a situation where "may" be used by the Sherrif's office to grant a CC permit, but rather you "will" issue the permit. It was finally decided that a Sherrif does not have the authority to issue any laws but enforce those put in place by our Legislature and Governors approval. As far as I can see the ruling by the SCOTUS is a winner any way you look at it and am positive other States will face the situation in the near future.

· Registered
36 Posts
There is a lot misleading info on the news. It has always been possible to obtain a carry permit in the State of New York. However, it was not valid in the five boroughs of New York City. The City has always issued and recognized it's own permit. These have only been available to the privileged (liberal elite). The case brought before the Supreme Court was a challenge to the New York City protocols.
Does the ruling make NYC properly define a reasonable necessity in order to be permitted? Or did the justices just say that NYC's necessity laws are unconstitutional and that they'll now have to come up with new law? I would hope that it means that every state now becomes "shall issue" but I'm afraid it doesn't mean that.

· Registered
753 Posts
Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi seem very upset on this ruling by the Supreme Court for the 2nd Amendment. It may be bigger than some people are doubting but I could be wrong. We shall see.

· Registered
11,831 Posts
Does the ruling make NYC properly define a reasonable necessity in order to be permitted? Or did the justices just say that NYC's necessity laws are unconstitutional and that they'll now have to come up with new law? I would hope that it means that every state now becomes "shall issue" but I'm afraid it doesn't mean that.
I believe they said that the NY BS of having to state a good cause for a permit is out. No can do. They will still be able to come up with BS like testing etc, and probably will do everything they can to slow walk permitting, just to show resistance.

· Registered
16,430 Posts
The ruling simply means that NYC, New Jersey, etc, can no longer require you to provide a reason for carrying a sidearm. The reason has been provided by the Supreme Court...self protection under the 2A.

The ruling does not change anything in the permitting requirements set forth by the State or city. They can still make safety and background requirements as cumbersome as possible. Changing those may take additional court challenges.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I believe they said that the NY BS of having to state a good cause for a permit is out. No can do. They will still be able to come up with BS like testing etc, and probably will do everything they can to slow walk permitting, just to show resistance.
And significant fees.

National Journalist John Stossel on the process in NYC -

Stossel has other interesting video on the subject of guns, the Second Amendment, and personal protection as well. He gets it.

I recently heard Fox News personality Greg Gutfeld say he is in the process of trying to get his permit in NYC - which surprised me.

We need more armed citizens!

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I just heard where New York's Governor called the ruling "Shocking...absolutely shocking...", but the best part was when she said she couldn't believe that - "they have taken away our right to have reasonable restrictions...".

Hard to believe she thinks State governments have the right to restrict Constitutional Rights.

Unbelievable.

Her reaction will make your blood boil (starts at 1:24) -

These politicians are terrified of having more legally armed citizen on their streets - and so are the criminals.

· Registered
753 Posts
And significant fees. National Journalist John Stossel on the process [of applying for a concealed firearm permit] in New York City
I love John Stossel. He exposes many things and shows many things that need to be seen. He is a journalist in my opinion and there are not many of them left in America.

$430 fee to apply for a concealed weapon pistol permit and it was also fifty pages long. Then the police took about eight months to get back to him after he applied only to tell him to go to the fires of perdition. (Thanks for the $430 sucker.) There is no 2nd Amendment in eastern New York.

The Supreme Court ruling will make it so they have to issue a concealed weapon permits. I doubt it will be easy but possible. And you will want multiple magazines because they will limit you to ten round crippled capacity magazines.

Reactions: jkv45

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,073 Posts
The left hysterically distorts things that do not go tyheir way. The SCOTUS opinion on the NYC gun issue does not allow anyone to carry in public without regulation. It basicslly says that such regulation must apply to everyone who complies wit6h the regulation.

I am sure that it is more complex than that, but that is how I see it.

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,073 Posts
Magazine capacity:

I understand the tactical advantage of higher capacity magazines. However, I also recall the days when a .45 ACP was THE auto loader to bring to a gunfight. The emphasis was then on one-shot stopping power and the guns had 7 or 8 round magazines. The catch nphrase was something like "power, speed, accuracy". Maybe this 10 round thing will bring back a focus on power.

Jeff Cooper must be having endless conniptions on the seven yard cloud range over the 9mm/.40 S&W trend (Tsunami?) for service pistols today.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
The best of Stossel is the Affirmative Action bake sale - If you are Asian, you pay 5x more. 😁

And guess who said it was unfair??

Reactions: Sorry Dude
41 - 60 of 71 Posts