M14 Forum banner

Supreme Court to the Rescue.

3244 Views 70 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  thesurvivalshop
Associate Justice Clarence Thomas wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority, holding that the New York law violated the Constitution and signaling other gun regulations disconnected from "historical tradition" would face similar scrutiny in court.

Thomas' opinion had the potential to upend the legal landscape around Second Amendment rights at a time when Americans remain divided over access to guns. Congress, meanwhile, is racing to pass a sweeping package of restrictions in response to recent mass shootings, including one at a Texas elementary school last month.

"We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need," Thomas wrote of the New York law. "It is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense."
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
3,165 Posts
I just wish the SCOTUS justices would just read the constitution and abandon their party bias. The decisions would be easy then.
If you could actually find 9 completely nonbiased people on the face of this earth, you could possibly do that. Unfortunately in most cases people on the left leaning side are strongly left leaning. People on the right leaning side are at least open to discussion even if they are still at the end of the day right leaning

· Registered
2,146 Posts
I am sure now the gun-grabbing states are on notice. Oh..they will not be happy -

Expect them liberals to picket every conservative judges at their homes. Democrats are losing at every turn now - they are on their way to being extinct. And look - we are not even that close to the midterms yet. I am sure Nov. will be a sight to behold.

Reactions: 15636215

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Them liberals will have a howling day for this. :ROFLMAO:

Finally - the law-abiding can shoot back at them criminals. If we do this right, we may even end up w/ a 'hunting day' for criminals. Choose a buck or a doe -

• Haha
Reactions: 15636215

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,236 Posts
Since the Obama years, I have seen news items about how first time gun buyers are often women and minority customers. These are folks who go to a gun shop, go through the background check/waiting period, and pay retail for a legal to own firearm. They are likely to go through some sort of permitting process where required.

Won't that make them legal gun owners who are also subject to liberal gun control regulations? Won't that make them more aware of and perhaps cherish the Second Amendment?

I would hope so.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Well, I predicted that SCOTUS would give a carefully nuanced opinion supporting the New York permit scheme. I love it when I am wrong.

That being said, SCOTUS did not throw permits out for carrying in public. However, they may have laid the ground rules for a future decision in that regard.

· Registered
12,502 Posts
Well, I predicted that SCOTUS would give a carefully nuanced opinion supporting the New York permit scheme. I love it when I am wrong.

That being said, SCOTUS did not throw permits out for carrying in public. However, they may have laid the ground rules for a future decision in that regard.
I doubt they would ever do that, may be a bridge too far: states rights thing too.

· Registered
2,501 Posts
There is a lot misleading info on the news. It has always been possible to obtain a carry permit in the State of New York. However, it was not valid in the five boroughs of New York City. The City has always issued and recognized it's own permit. These have only been available to the privileged (liberal elite). The case brought before the Supreme Court was a challenge to the New York City protocols.
It has been widely known and sometimes brought to the courts that many counties have such high standards to grant concealed carry permits that they ostensibly do not not allow for them. What I am curious about in the long term is what this decision will do for access to those permits, and if they will find other ways to continue prohibiting them.

· Registered
16,837 Posts
It has been widely known and sometimes brought to the courts that many counties have such high standards to grant concealed carry permits that they ostensibly do not not allow for them. What I am curious about in the long term is what this decision will do for access to those permits, and if they will find other ways to continue prohibiting them.
They will most likely increase the training standard and restrict as many areas as possible. I would imagine that in NYC they will encourage many establishments to post "no firearms" signs. They won't be able to increase the application fee very much, as that would be discriminatory.

· Registered
3,165 Posts
We haven’t won a thing. Anyone who legally Carrie’s in NYC will still be treated like a criminal. DOJ says SCOTUS made wrong decision which is unbelievable. Much worse is coming
They are currently led by people that think the Constitution is nothing but toilet paper.

· Registered
184 Posts
Not a rescue.

“Properly interpreted, the Second Amendment allows a ‘variety’ of gun regulations,” wrote Roberts and Kavanaugh, who also noted that states can still make applicants for a firearm license “undergo fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.”

This is more ammunition for the Federal Camel to stick its' nose under the tent.

Look for NY to hang their hats on restrictive regulations that mitigate this ruling.
However, you have to read the whole decision. The primary thing that the decision stands for is that there is no two-stage test for exercising it. This means that any restriction will have to meet the same standard that a restriction on free speech, the right to vote or a jury trial would have to meet.

· Premium Member
1,758 Posts
There is a lot misleading info on the news. It has always been possible to obtain a carry permit in the State of New York. However, it was not valid in the five boroughs of New York City. The City has always issued and recognized it's own permit. These have only been available to the privileged (liberal elite). The case brought before the Supreme Court was a challenge to the New York City protocols.
My buddy's son applied for one outside of Watertown, took him maybe three or four years to get it, and he works for some NY state court too. I know because he left all his pistols with me when he moved up there to be near mom and dad. Heck, he came down last week, took us out to dinner and finally, after five years, I found his box of holsters to give back to him.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.