M14 Forum banner

Supreme Court to the Rescue.

3120 70
Associate Justice Clarence Thomas wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority, holding that the New York law violated the Constitution and signaling other gun regulations disconnected from "historical tradition" would face similar scrutiny in court.

Thomas' opinion had the potential to upend the legal landscape around Second Amendment rights at a time when Americans remain divided over access to guns. Congress, meanwhile, is racing to pass a sweeping package of restrictions in response to recent mass shootings, including one at a Texas elementary school last month.

"We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need," Thomas wrote of the New York law. "It is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense."
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11,831 Posts
View attachment 482997

I have always been a sap for so-called Black Irishwomen, such as this high-spirited liberal icon. I can just imagine how pi$$ed she is right now. If I were only close enough to watch the sparks fly. I'm calling it a good day, constitutional jurisprudence-wise.

Maybe she'll throw something. Ah Kathy, you're even lovelier when you're angry.
She is so stupid, she's ugly!

· Registered
11,831 Posts
I have seen worse - 😄
So have I.
Here is why I dont think she is deserving of any respect at all and cant be taken seriously. Anyone who uses that extremely tired analogy about "you cant yell fire in a theater", in hopes of bolstering the case for restrictions on our rights, as she did today is just really a stupid person with zero understanding of how things work.

When you use that argument, you instantly lose, because there is no prior restraint to yelling fire in a theater. Its an abuse of free speech that is punishable only after the fact, whereas asking citizens to jump thru extra hoops prior to the exercise of a Constitutional Right is.
She is beneath contempt.

· Registered
11,831 Posts
Obviously sir, you are younger, better-looking and more sexually attractive than me. I'm a blown out 77 year old who can barely stand up. I'm just crazy about women who are too good for me and without knowing a thing about the woman -- except the obvious, she's a liberal New York Governor -- she is certainly too good for the likes of me.

Leave me with my pitiful old man fantasies.
Well, its true, you are 9 years older than me, dont know about the rest however.....:p

· Registered
11,831 Posts
Well, I predicted that SCOTUS would give a carefully nuanced opinion supporting the New York permit scheme. I love it when I am wrong.

That being said, SCOTUS did not throw permits out for carrying in public. However, they may have laid the ground rules for a future decision in that regard.
I doubt they would ever do that, may be a bridge too far: states rights thing too.

· Registered
11,831 Posts
Does the ruling make NYC properly define a reasonable necessity in order to be permitted? Or did the justices just say that NYC's necessity laws are unconstitutional and that they'll now have to come up with new law? I would hope that it means that every state now becomes "shall issue" but I'm afraid it doesn't mean that.
I believe they said that the NY BS of having to state a good cause for a permit is out. No can do. They will still be able to come up with BS like testing etc, and probably will do everything they can to slow walk permitting, just to show resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts