M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
There is a lot misleading info on the news. It has always been possible to obtain a carry permit in the State of New York. However, it was not valid in the five boroughs of New York City. The City has always issued and recognized it's own permit. These have only been available to the privileged (liberal elite). The case brought before the Supreme Court was a challenge to the New York City protocols.

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
It has been widely known and sometimes brought to the courts that many counties have such high standards to grant concealed carry permits that they ostensibly do not not allow for them. What I am curious about in the long term is what this decision will do for access to those permits, and if they will find other ways to continue prohibiting them.
They will most likely increase the training standard and restrict as many areas as possible. I would imagine that in NYC they will encourage many establishments to post "no firearms" signs. They won't be able to increase the application fee very much, as that would be discriminatory.

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
Does the ruling make NYC properly define a reasonable necessity in order to be permitted? Or did the justices just say that NYC's necessity laws are unconstitutional and that they'll now have to come up with new law? I would hope that it means that every state now becomes "shall issue" but I'm afraid it doesn't mean that.
The ruling simply means that NYC, New Jersey, etc, can no longer require you to provide a reason for carrying a sidearm. The reason has been provided by the Supreme Court...self protection under the 2A.

The ruling does not change anything in the permitting requirements set forth by the State or city. They can still make safety and background requirements as cumbersome as possible. Changing those may take additional court challenges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts