M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
5-4, no 2A issue per se, Kennedy went with majority this time. I guess the outcome doesn't surprise anybody. I hate to see Abramski or anybody else get a felony conviction for closing a gun purchase for an adult relative legal to own/possess the gun, but it might be a blessing in disguise. Looming behind the whole thing is the Brady ("NICS") law with its "instant check" drill when prospective firearm purchaser who has no CHL is buying from FFL. I really don't want any more "background check" and "gunshow loophole" bills hitting the floors of the U.S. Congress. That's what would be happening today if Abramski v. U.S. had gone the other way. Think about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the .gov thinks any of this 4473 BS is reducing crime, they're absolutely nuts. Criminals don't do background checks. I firmly believe that all of this background check nonsense is an infringement on a persons rights BUT - I have a pawnshop with a 02 FFL and have to follow their rules to play their game at my business. And I follow them to the letter.

IF that guy had just bought the pistol and gave it to his uncle as a gift, it would have been ok. But the uncle wrote a check and the guy was stupid/ignorant/naive enough to accept it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I have zero problems with the law. Mr.A was a bit mistaken in what he did. He needs to be smarter than that. They ARE firearms and we do live in a demitard nation. Thank you founding fathers for the 2nd amendment....which is trying to be amended by said demitards.
In the words of Randy Moss, "straight cash homie".

What if the govt. tries to say that the right to keep and bear arms is someday interperated to mean that our actual Arms(limbs) are what those fathers meant. Might be a stupid statement...but so is releasing 5 reallllllllllly bad dudes for one dude, who could be A crazy, thats right, a crazy. I give up.

Deuces

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Every now and then someone comes along who is so stupid that they are just asking to be convicted. How he wrote the check for it and labeled it as 'glock pistol money' or whatever...I know these laws are BS but still....

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I feel like this was just the court carrying out natural selection.

All he had to do was say he decided he didn't want the pistol. But buying with a record of intent to buy for someone else was the nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Shoulda waited until transferring to his uncle before having the check written.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
couldnt the buyer have said the gift was for himself and he changed his mind and gave it to his uncle. and that his uncle is mistaken becausee he changed his mind

or he could say that he accepted the check to buy the glock but that he intended to keep the glock for himself since its a crime to straw buy. then gave to his uncle as a gift?

·
Registered
847 Posts
wait, the uncle is a former LE, why can't he go buy the gun?

Btw, what's that song," I fought the law and the law won."

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I wonder how anybody other than the ffl knew he had bought that glock to begin with? he didn't rob the bank with it. NICS records are SUPPOSED to be destroyed after 72 hrs. whether we agree with the law or not, having that check was clear intent to buy a firearm for another person & he KNEW he was falsifying that 4473. go to jail. go directly to jail.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
The ultimate outcome of this case was no mystery. Abramski was a former cop and this entire episode illustrates the attitude of many cops with whom I am acquainted. They think since they are cops they can do whatever they want, but in this instance his "cop attitude" didn't work out well for him. I'm not at all distressed that he now has a felony conviction. Most of the time some poor schmuck gets screwed by the cops because of the "cop attitude", but this time the tables were turned. I wish it had been a case of an entirely different nature, but I long ago had my fill of cops with the "cop attitude."

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
One thing about this (we notice this here in CA with lawsuits). Success at court has just as much to do with the participants as it does the actual letter of the law. Big difference between going to court on behalf of someone who has no record and someone who has totally screwed up in 20 different directions. And that is leaving out the whole "I'll write him a check that says GLOCK on it to be sure" lol.

·
13,515 Posts
Unless you are in fact a criminal. Then, lying on the 4473 is just not incriminating yourself.
So would you be protected by the 5th amendment ?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Read the article again paying closer attention to the punctuation. It was Abramski who was the former cop, not the uncle.
You're right, but that makes it worse. So, as a former LE, he doesn't know any better? But, my original question stands: why can't the uncle buy his own gun?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
You're right, but that makes it worse. So, as a former LE, he doesn't know any better? But, my original question stands: why can't the uncle buy his own gun?
Yes, Abramski being a former cop does make it worse. As a former cop he may have known better, but his "cop attitude" apparently was still in full force and got him in this predicament.

If you read the entire article, Abramski was purchasing the gun for his uncle so his uncle could get it at a lower price because Abramski could get a "police discount." There apparently was nothing preventing the uncle from purchasing the pistol other that the opportunity to get it at a lower price by his nephew purchasing it.

·
13,515 Posts
It's also possible instead of calling in the NRA and making this a red states vs blue states and Obama situation. He could have somehow talked it down to a misdemeanor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts