M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, Wish I had time to post more but unfortunately it's sporadic at best. I finally received the tax stamp for my Specwar 7.62 suppressor on August 8th. Yesterday was the first day I was able to hit the range with it. I noticed that when firing my M1A there seemed to be excessive backpressure coming out of the chamber when the can was on. I have an adjustable gas plug and was able to adjust it but I was wondering if anyone else running their M1A suppressed has run into this same issue? If so is there any excessive wear and tear caused by the use of a can? Any knowledge would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I'm not a can shooter but I hear this is a common complaint with suppressed semi auto rifles. There are a few directions you can go too help minimize the back blast.

#1. Try and find a rev-2 Brookfield piston (Good Luck?)
#2. Use a breach shield from a BFA
#3. Add a adj. gas plug.
#4. Make a wrap around breach shield like Nez did from kydex.
#5. Alter the off side of the spindle valve too restrict the gas entering the G/C like the rev-2 piston. This might be the better option as spindle valves are cheap and surely easier too find than Brookfield rev-2 pistons the bonus side is when your done shooting the with the "Can" you can turn the spindle back to its normal position and run regular loads and not have too swap pistons.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I was so excited to get my can for my EBR. Have shot it twice with it on and now taking it off and putting it on my 716. I have a ARMS 18 mount. Blowback wasn't terrible but didn't shoot well either almost 2 feet off from where it was shooting with the can off. Turned the gas off to shoot and cycled manually.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
does anyone know what the gas port hole ID on the revision 2 Brookfield is? And since we're discussing it, does the rev 2 offer any advantages over venting the gas with an adjustable plug?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello Everyone, Wish I had time to post more but unfortunately it's sporadic at best. I finally received the tax stamp for my Specwar 7.62 suppressor on August 8th. Yesterday was the first day I was able to hit the range with it. I noticed that when firing my M1A there seemed to be excessive backpressure coming out of the chamber when the can was on. I have an adjustable gas plug and was able to adjust it but I was wondering if anyone else running their M1A suppressed has run into this same issue? If so is there any excessive wear and tear caused by the use of a can? Any knowledge would be welcome.
Congrats on the Specwar! Good cans for sure. I had mine on for a very short while. Point of impact was different, but blowback was the biggest bummer for me too even with all the gizmos in place that supposedly help reduce that. My 7.62 now resides on a 5.56 spr type AR. Let me tell you that if you think the 7.62 specwars are quiet on a 7.62/.308, it's absolutely spectacular on a 5.56/.233! It's noticeably more quiet than its little bother, the 5.56 Specwar.

-Josh

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
does anyone know what the gas port hole ID on the revision 2 Brookfield is? And since we're discussing it, does the rev 2 offer any advantages over venting the gas with an adjustable plug?
The std hole in a USGI piston and almost everyone else is .147, the Rev-2's hole is .062 so its more than a 50% reduction in size. I guess the advantage of the Rev-2 is that the gas cylinder doesn't need too vent because the piston doesn't let the gas in......

Before I blew the coin on a collector piston, I would play with the spindle valve first much cheaper and you could open it small amounts up if needed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The ammo might be a factor. I have been using 168 gr GMM and the powder
burns very cleanly and the resultant blowback is minimal at best.

Shot some milsurp 147 gr stuff and was choked and blackened. I have
the same suppressor and have only used it on my 300 blackout so far. The Mk23 by Tim Bixler of SCRC is one of the quietest full power cans ever made
for the M14(it's the one I prefer) Will try the Specwar on my 16" Fulton Armory
sweetness next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.