M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been struggling with the SWFA SS for about a year. Its mounted on an arms 18 mount. I cant seem to get the eye relief right. any suggestions for an alternate scope.

I'm primarily using the gun for predator hunts (pigs, cats and coyotes).

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
What eye relief issues are you having? Too close, too far? Not enough room on the mount to get the rings where you need them?

I ask because it may be a setup issue more than a scope issue.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
How far are you off from getting proper eye relief? What rings are you using? Which model SS?

I know you already have the arms mount but you may want to look at a mount like the Bassett that extends back further. It looks like you'd gain 1/4 to 1/2" back using a Bassett low picatinny mount.

Rings also play a role, fat rings like the Burris XTR's cut into your available space. Narrower rings like TPS TSR's will allow you to get the scope further back also. Since I don't know what rings you're running just throwing that info out there. Realistically anything much wider than 5/8" is just showing off and adding weight.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
From your picture, it was hard to tell if you had any more rearward notches to move your scope back. And yes, those 6 screw rings while pretty rugged, will limit the eye relief of your scope. dozier

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im at the last notch on the mount. The weaver extensions are interesting but are only for a 1" tube. Im going to try a narrower and lower ring to see if that helps.

I did see an interesting one piece integrate ring set up designed for ar's. I almost snagged it but it raises the scope height quite a bit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im at the last notch on the mount. The weaver extensions are interesting but are only for a 1" tube. Im going to try a narrower and lower ring to see if that helps.
That should definitely help some. If it isn't enough, they do make the Weaver extension rings for a 30mm tube as well: http://www.theriflescopestore.com/we30exri.html These aren't "super quality" stuff as evidenced by the price, but it should do you ok as an alternative to buying a new mount.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok......I changed over to a leopold low ring. They are not as thick so I was gained a 1/2 inch. That combined with being lower seems to be where I want it but.........not much clearance between the rear sight.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not much but some is good to go. None is bad. If you can get a couple sheets of paper between you're safe.

Sounds like you may have found the right setup for you.

I personally switched from 1 inch wide rings down to .6 inch wide to get my scope further back. Haven't looked back since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts