M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mount a Super Sniper scope on your M1A? I have been researching scopes for when I get the cash together and I keep coming back to the SS. If I get one of these I will be able to buy a scope much sooner due to the lower cost vs. the Leupold's. I haven't run across a bad review yet. One of my concerns is the fixed power. I will be mounting this scope on a Scout with an ARMS 18. Is 10x fixed overkill for this rifle? I figure for close shots I could resort to open sights if the setup still allowed. Give me your opinions. I'm mostly looking for a good all around SHTF, hunting rifle that's capable of reaching out to 600-700yds with reasonable accuracy. Would one of these SS scopes fit the bill? I really don't want to spend over 500 on a scope since this isn't a long range match setup and never will be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
SS Scope

I have never had an issue with a SS scope, atleast not from the SWFA ones. I have used them on 308 bolt actions but not on an M14. Fixed power scopes are simple to use, however fixed 10x is not ideal for all situations..then again, no scope is perfect for everything. SS glass is pretty clear and bright, scope adjustments have nice tactile feel and hold zero well. For the money, I like them. However, I am a leupold fan and I will prob never buy another scope that is cheaper than a Leupold. For me, durability is a huge aspect and I have never had a leupold or SS break on me. I have broken several cheaper scopes, last scope I broke was a Falcon Menace, and while it was very clear and bright, held zero, I would never trust my life to it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nikon has great glass 82nd.I have a friend with a photograpy degree(yes you can get one and he was a career student,and id back in college now43 or so) who will take a nikon over a leupold in a heart beat. Side by side some people prefer one to the other.I see a difference but think it has more to do with the coatings and or their order than the glass.
Nikon arguably makes the best camera lenses.they bought Bushnell and improved their glass some. The prices on their scopes are pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have a 10X42SS Super Sniper on my 18.5". The rifle started out as a 22". I use ARMS22H rings on a Armscorp/brookfield mount. I shoot out to 600 and it IS my SHTF rifle. The mount affords the use of irons and the glass does the rest. JMO

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just got one of the 20X42 Super Sniper scopes in a trade along with some other stuff..... I have a Smith mount .... so Iam thinking the next rifle I build will probably be a scoped M14/M1a. GITEN

From everything I have read , these scopes are pretty decent for the money. I know I have had other scopes that was not as clear as this one.

Let us know if you get one and how it performs.

Boomer

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
SS Scope

I have the newer 6x42 fixed SS with low Bassett mount for my M1A. The 1st scope I rec'd from SWFA had some slight spherical Aberration with slight barrel distortion. I personally could not see it with my eyes but my buddy could. We checked it with an artillery collimator and sure enough. Sent the scope back to SWFA. SWFA hand picked another and sent it, no hassle. perfect. I chose the fixed power for reliability, field of view and to be able to have quicker acquisition of closer targets.The 6x42 has better light gathering and better field of view than the 10x. I'm using this scope from 200 to 500 yards with no issue.

·
Eye Master
3,946 Posts
Several years ago, a buddy called Nikon and discussed their scopes. At that time, Nikon was not making their glass in-house, like they do for their camera lenses, but was outsourcing it. Hence, Nikon no doubt knows glass, and does not buy garbage, but their scopes did not contain the world class glass that is in their camera lenses. It might be different today, but at some point, Nikon scopes were not necessarily Nikon glass.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also have a 6x power SS scope with the Bassett mount on
my M1A. I live about 25 miles from SWFA and just drive over
and get what I want.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

The 6x power scope seems to be best power for general
work out to 300 to 400 yards.

It's a strongly built scope with clear bright optics.
Adjustment clicks are firm and definately click. If that makes sense?

I highly recommend the 6x Super Sniper scope.

·
175grs Of Love
65 Posts
I had a SS 3-9 FFP on my M1A Super Match for a while and it worked great. I have 3 of them on various rifles and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
10x42 SS, TPS Medium rings, Sadlak aluminum mount on a Loaded. SS is a great scope for the money. I've only shot it out to 200 yards, 10x is plenty at that distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SS 10x42m

I have a SS 10X42M with a SEI mount and SEI medium rings mounted on a Springfield Armory "Loaded" M1A. I have been using the set up above for over 3 years now and have not have any issues at all with it. It has been only shot out to 200 yards (maximum distance of our range here) The optics are clear and the scope appears to be very durable. So far it has withstood 3 years worth of slow fire shooting up to fast semi-auto 20 and 25 round magazine shooting that friends and I have put it through. Also, the finish of the scope has held up well over the years and it still appears brand new. I have no complaints so far and have since purchased another SS 10X42M scope for my FN PBR .308 Win. bolt-action rifle. I will also be purchasing another SS 10X42M scope for my SEI M-14. I have attached a photograph of my son and a friend shooting the above described rifle at our 200 yard firing range here on Maui. GI1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts