M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 20x42 SWFA Super Sniper on this rifle. Currently I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 on an ARMS 18 mount with low Warne rings.

The Mueller is a 1" tube and the SWFA is 30mm. So I need new rings. I'm going with TPS rings. I want as low as possible. Anyone know if I can pull this off with Low TPS rings with my ARMS 18 mount?

I know everyone will say medium rings to be safe, but does anyone know for sure or has tried this set up? Even with another brand of Low rings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Stack washers or coins on the mount were you will be putting the new rings. Build the stacks up until the scope is at the exact height that you want. Measure the stack with a set of calipers and you'll know the height that you need.

If you don't have calipers, use pennies for the stack, then contact someone who has calipers (like me) and have them measure a stack of the same number of pennies.

This will get you dead on every time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stack washers or coins on the mount were you will be putting the new rings. Build the stacks up until the scope is at the exact height that you want. Measure the stack with a set of calipers and you'll know the height that you need.

If you don't have calipers, use pennies for the stack, then contact someone who has calipers (like me) and have them measure a stack of the same number of pennies.

This will get you dead on every time.
I have calipers and I have pennies :) But, I want to order the scope and rings at the same time. I don't want to order the scope, then order the rings a week later. Why pay 2x for shipping. But thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
The problem is the SS scopes have a huge eyepiece! I had to use Arms mediums to clear the rear sight. I would go with the TPS Med alloy steel rings. I am now using a Sadlak which raises the scope up enough to use the lows.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I know everyone will say medium rings to be safe, but does anyone know for sure or has tried this set up? Even with another brand of Low rings?

I went with Medium Weaver Tactical rings on a low Bassett picatinny mount with my SWFA scope. I could not go any lower w/o hitting rear sight aperture . Got the rings from SWFA. I was impressed with the quality, ease of mounting and price. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Do you know the dimensions of the scope? Willing to do some measuring on your setup? If so send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a calculator that can get what you're after.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I just talked to Arms yesterday about mounting a 50mm objective and they said the mediums were needed to clear....now, your 44 would be good, and even with low rings you might want to think about, yes it will clear aperature, but what if you want a long shot with irons and have to turn it up a dozen clicks. I would go with medium regardless for this reason alone. Let us know what you find out for sure though,..I'm in the same boat as you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts