M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In another thread, I learned that not all super match receivers had the rear lug. Any idea when SA started adding this feature. I have never removed the receiver from the glass bedded stock. Mine was built in May 1988.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BR,

Nik H

·
Registered
975 Posts
I bought a factory lugged receiver in the late 1980's. I think it was about the time they first offered lugged receivers not built into rifles. I'm thinking it was 1989 but it might have been 1988.

I ordered a lugged Smith receiver right before that.

The Smith was suppose to be, "forged" but turned out to be one of their cast version when it finally shipped.

The Smith lug was threaded for a screw through the stock.

The Springfield receiver was $200 cheaper and in place of the threaded hole was a much larger non-threaded hole.

Years later somebody told me that the Springfield hole was meant to take a threaded bushing that floated in the hole until the screw was tightened.

In the late 1980's it had become popular to not put a screw through the lug though.

My most accurate rifle was built with non-lugged Springfield receiver that was $50 cheaper than the lugged Springfield receiver.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes sir, mine was built in 1988 as well and no rear lug. In addition, the Op Rod holder was brazened to the barrel and the rear sight is P.Beretta

·
Registered
975 Posts
It was late 91 or early 92 when the factory started offering the rear lug.
I was thinking it was after 1990. I know it was before 1992.

I waited 14 months for the Smith receiver and then Springfield started offering a lugged receiver and I bought one.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Does your receiver lug have a hole? If so is it a smooth hole or is it a threaded hole? Does your rifle have a screw through the stock to the lug?

I bought mine a bare receiver when they were first offered.

I sold my rifles in the Summer of 1993 when I left for overseas for four years.

I may have started selling them in Summer - Fall 1992.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have never taken the receiver out to see if there is a lug, let alone a hole.

There are no holes visible with a screw head. Where would it be located?

BR,

Nik H

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have never taken the receiver out to see if there is a lug, let alone a hole.

There are no holes visible with a screw head. Where would it be located?

BR,

Nik H
I see. If the date is right, it likely has no lug. I bought a Springfield receiver shortly be they offered a lugged receiver. Then they came out with a lugged receiver for much less money than the Smith receiver I has, which was also a cast steel version, so I bought a lugged receiver from Springfield.

The earlier non-lugged receiver was the best rifle I had.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The SA, Inc. M1A rear lugged receiver (stock number MA9903) is listed in the 1989 SAI Dealer Price List. Retail cost in 1989 was $513.50.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My Oct '85 Super Match (#036xxx) does not have the rear lug. When I spoke to Vicki @ S.A., she believed that they were incorporated into receivers around 1994

·
Registered
73 Posts
An old thread, but made me remember something. A guy that had built rifles back in the day told me that he found the rear lugged receivers without the anchoring screw actually shot better? Sounds odd to me. Both of my Supermatches are lugged, without the screw.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
My lrb rear lug is bolted and have got amazing groups with it. It shoots everything great but has a couple loads that are sub moa. Its hard to say which way is better so long as it shoots

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would think bolting it down would be better. At Perry couple years ago, Skeet6' Derrick Martin was shooting kinda awful. Opened trigger guard, bolt loose. Snugged it down, definitely improved.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My lrb rear lug is bolted and have got amazing groups with it. It shoots everything great but has a couple loads that are sub moa. Its hard to say which way is better so long as it shoots
The one LRB I have is also a rear lug and it will shoot far better than I am capable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One I have not fired yet. The one I have been shooting is extremely fussy about ammo. Likes M852 & FGMM, IF the bullet is kissing the rifling. Any jump it can double groups or worse. Forget any 155s. But I don't think adding a bolt will change anything, as long as lockup if tight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts