M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new Springfield M1A Super Match (stainless barrel). Less than 150 rounds through it and the factory-installed muzzle-brake goes flying down range. I collect it, inspect, all looks fine. No obvious sign of cross threading, though the threads were not very tall. I clean everything off, remount the brake, tighten the castle nut, and lock the castle nut down with the allen screw. 10 rounds later the brake again goes flying down range.

I am afraid the reports of low Springfield quality may be true, even on their flagship super match, which I regret admitting i paid about $3000 for. :-(

Anyone seen defective threads on the barrel and brake on the SS barrels?

Thanks
-daniel

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Call SAI, they'll make it right.

I may be speaking out of school here, but I'm wondering if the hole in the castle nut was oversized causing a low thread engagement. How does the castle nut feel on the threads without the flash hider, is there a lot of slop? Did the set screw get sheered or did the nut walk over the threads on it's way out? Either way, contact Springfield in the am.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
If the nut rode over the barrel threads, then either the $3 nut is oversized, or the barrel threads are undersized. The first is an easy fix you can do at home, the other is a major issue that will require a new barrel.

Call SAI, hopefully all you need is a new castle nut.

If your castle nut is missing the lock screw, well, that is even easier to fix. RNGR2

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Its either threads on the barrel or threads on the nut.

My bet is a bad nut / threads @ minor diameter.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
... and tell them you want a USGI flash suppressor. Also, when they fix it, be sure they didn't install the old one - there is a chance the gas slots have cracked all the way to the muzzle.

I suffered with a cracked FH for months, until I finally discovered it. Wreaked havoc on my groups.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
... and tell them you want a USGI flash suppressor. Also, when they fix it, be sure they didn't install the old one - there is a chance the gas slots have cracked all the way to the muzzle.

I suffered with a cracked FH for months, until I finally discovered it. Wreaked havoc on my groups.
Flash hider is verboten in Calfornistan.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This is very strange once the set screw is in you brake still flies off? Is the castle nut coming with it or staying on the barrel? What happens to the set screw? PICS would help before and after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the comments! Here is a little clarification.

The set screw was well-tightened and set. It did not come out! When the brake flew off, the castle nut was still locked in the brake by the set screw.

I unscrewed the set screw and manually tested the castle nut on the barrel threads. If felt tight and there was no indication of slop nor cross threading. It was tight enough to be hard to tighten manually, though not impossible once gently started with a wrench.

Then I replaced the castle nut in the brake, dropped the brake back onto the barrel, and tightened the castle nut down by hand. It went numerous complete rotations onto the threads and felt tight... no slop. Locked it down with the set screw. 15 rounds later the brake again went flying down range.

Very demoralizing after paying $$$ for a super match. I contacted SAI and they opened an RMA and asked me to send it back. Said this is a very unusual problem... he'd never before heard of this happening. Now I am concerned that if they have to change the barrell, the bedding will be damaged/worn in the stock.

Shoulda bought a fulton armory, maybe.

Though I will say the customer service guy on the phone at SAI was sympathetic and trying to be helpful. They sent me a fedex label to pay for shipping back to SAI for server. But I wont be able to play with this toy for several weeks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I unscrewed the set screw and manually tested the castle nut on the barrel threads. If felt tight and there was no indication of slop nor cross threading. It was tight enough to be hard to tighten manually, though not impossible once gently started with a wrench.

If its flying off the gun the threaded nut is not doing its job.
Its either a bad nut or the barrel threads.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I idly wonder if it were misaligned and a bullet hit it during firing. Just thinking out of the box here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts