1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
This development is quite disturbing.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Put me in the skeptical column. Congress can cede its authority down to a dozen members. The executive can pretend to grant itself the tie breaking vote. None of this is vaguely constitutional, and we've heard nothing from SCOTUS on the subject. You know- the co-equal branch of government that takes a generally dim view of the other branches running buck wild and making jackasses of themselves.

The so-called super congress can declare black white and decree that cats must lie down with dogs. The word 'injunction' was coined for just such occasions.

Couple that with Alex Jones' reputation for riling up the hoopleheads with spurious conspiracies of dubious factual merit, and I think we've got a recipe for the outline of a distraction from what's really going on.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Let's see tinfoil adjusted......ok...

Doubt and be skeptical of the power of this Super Congress all you want.
For 30 or more years we've been saying they won't do this or that doesn't mean that. Look around and see where we are today.
How many times do you have to be lied too and mislead before you wake up and realize you've been had.

The Republic was just dealt a stealth deathblow, this committee is unconstitutionally and our system of government has been upsurped.

Remember today because what just happened was a Coup d'etat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
let's see tinfoil adjusted......ok...

Doubt and be skeptical of the power of this super congress all you want.
For 30 or more years we've been saying they won't do this or that doesn't mean that. Look around and see where we are today.
How many times do you have to be lied too and mislead before you wake up and realize you've been had.

The republic was just dealt a stealth deathblow, this committee is unconstitutionally and our system of government has been upsurped.

Remember today because what just happened was a coup d'etat.
+ 100

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Constitutionality doesn't mean anything anymore. If it meant something to enough Americans, you would see the wagons circling, and folks would be marching with pitchforks already. Those willing to do that probably realize they are in such small numbers, that to do so would mean prison for domestic terrorism. We are rapidly approaching the point where the ballot box doesn't function. Who or what will stop them from doing this? A guy at work just told me, " see, that's why I don't watch the news. Live the happy life man. Live free. You can't be caught up by that all the time." Live free? By blocking out reality? This is the exact type of citizen the government wants. And they are in the hundreds of millions.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I'm concerned about it because it removes the ability of members outside the committee to discuss or dissent. I haven't read all the details of the new legislation yet but it smacks of a "central committee" to me.

Either way, it's gonna be downhill from here.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Constitutionality doesn't mean anything anymore. If it meant something to enough Americans, you would see the wagons circling, and folks would be marching with pitchforks already. Those willing to do that probably realize they are in such small numbers, that to do so would mean prison for domestic terrorism. We are rapidly approaching the point where the ballot box doesn't function. Who or what will stop them from doing this? A guy at work just told me, " see, that's why I don't watch the news. Live the happy life man. Live free. You can't be caught up by that all the time." Live free? By blocking out reality? This is the exact type of citizen the government wants. And they are in the hundreds of millions.
Sadly, you are correct. They are hoping more of us watch "American Idol" than the news (what little effective news there is).

It used to infuriate me when my ex wouldn't read a paper or watch news.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
We can only hope as the situtation worsens and it will, that more people wake up. If not then we shall be carried over the cliff.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
We can only hope as the situtation worsens and it will, that more people wake up. If not then we shall be carried over the cliff.
Well, reading the comments on Yahoo news and some of the other sites I visit, I get the impression a lot of folks are ready to visit "cruel and terrible punishment" upon our elected representatives.

It could all be a plant too...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Well, reading the comments on Yahoo news and some of the other sites I visit, I get the impression a lot of folks are ready to visit "cruel and terrible punishment" upon our elected representatives.

It could all be a plant too...
Interested parties know who you are. There is no more anonymity anymore. All it will take is for Homeland Security to bust two or three of us for 'advocating the violent overthrow of the US government' to get whatever legislation they wish passed, and supported by a relieved public. More effective than the fast and furious debacle was.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hgunner said:
The Republic was just dealt a stealth deathblow, this committee is unconstitutionally and our system of government has been usurped.
I'm not about to argue that the current administration isn't doing everything it can to usurp the powers of the Congress and the Supreme Court. The power grab over the past two+ years would have given Richard Nixon a woody!

However, the Supreme Court does still exist as LemmyCaution pointed out. If this committee/commission is unconstitutional, we can hope that the SCOTUS would put a stop to it.

I have a very hard time believing that the bill passed today gives a deficit commission the power to over-ride the Constitution. Again, I don't doubt that it makes a farce of Congressional procedures. I just don't think it can address absolutely any issue it wants to. For example, 2/3 of the Senate has to approve any Treaty. That's in the Constitution and today's bill can't change it.

WHAT THIS DOES TELL US ALL IS THAT WE MUST GET INVOLVED!
VOLUNTEER, CONTRIBUTE, TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS
DO MORE THAN HUNKER DOWN AND BITCH ABOUT IT!!!

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Does our Representative Branch, Executive Branch and Judical Branch follow the Constitution now? You really think that Obama would do a damn thing they told him to do. And just who is going to back up or enforce a Supreme Court ruling that declares this Un-constitutional.
Obama has said publically that he wants to bypass congress and do things his own way, they give him a means by which to do it. The Supreme Court will save us...my big fat butt.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Let's see tinfoil adjusted......ok...

Doubt and be skeptical of the power of this Super Congress all you want.

The Republic was just dealt a stealth deathblow, this committee is unconstitutionally and our system of government has been upsurped.

Remember today because what just happened was a Coup d'etat.
What happened today?

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
The debt ceiling bill was passed and signed,big frick'in joke, but it had some additional nasty,foul smelly stuff in it.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Getting a little sick of this. I hope we can vote the retards out of office. I love the big 3 ring circus act they put on too... Gotta love our govt', always creating a problem so they can give us a "solution". I wish John Wayne would come back and pistol whip them all in the teeth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the solution is always less freedom! bozos replace bozos and we all pay the price.when I get too fired up I go visit my inden bros on the rez and have a laugh about it. the rez puts it all in perspective for me...

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Retarded article is retarded.

NOWHERE is the 2nd ammendment, 4th ammendent, 9th ammendment or anything in between addressed. Anything this conference committee (which, as stated, are used all the time), still has to be passed by both houses. AS NORMAL. They have simply agreed to no fillibusters or ammendments, which is their right to do (see below).

Q139. "Why can't I find anything about filibusters in the Constitution?"

A. The short answer is because there is nothing there to find: the Constitution does not contemplate the filibuster in any way, directly or indirectly. So, then, what is all this talk about the Framers, the Senate, the filibuster, and its relationship to the Constitution?

The Constitution allows each house of Congress to set its own rules. Early on, both houses had unlimited debate provisions. The House of Representatives, however, as a much larger body, found this rule unworkable and rules to limit debate came into effect. The Senate, until recently, never created such a rule. The term for the use of unlimited debate as a legislative tactic became known as a filibuster in the 1850's. The first attack on the filibuster came in 1841, by no lesser a figure than Henry Clay. It survived, though, until 1917, when the Senate adopted a rule allowing a filibuster to be stopped by a two-thirds vote. Such a vote is known as "cloture." Cloture ended the ability of a single Senator to hold up Senate business, but since a two-thirds vote can be difficult to get, it certainly did not stop the filibuster.

In 1975, the two-thirds rule was changed to three-fifths. Today, the three-fifths rule allows cloture on the basis of the vote of sixty Senators. In 2005, the filibuster again came under attack when threats to filibuster judicial appointments prompted calls for a rule change specifically against filibusters on judicial appointments.

So the filibuster has its constitutional origins in the ability of each house of Congress to set its own rules. It has its origins in the framers in that they saw the Senate as a place where extended debate and discussion would have a cooling effect on the actions of the more "heated" House. And it has its origins in the concept ingrained in our political system that the rights of the minority must be protected from the force of the majority.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.