M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions from others who carry concealed while wearing a suit, jacket on and jacket off. What do you guys carry?

I work in an office but leave the office regularly. When in the office, I never wear a suit jacket. When I leave the office for business related matters (which usually occurs daily for at least a couple of hours) I DO wear a suit jacket.

I'm having some difficulty figuring out my best options for concealed carry under the above conditions. I want to find a pistol that I can carry in both situations: in office without a jacket and out of the office with a suit jacket. In both cases I am wearing slacks, oxford shirt (tucked), and tie. I currently have a Glock 26, but it's just too big and heavy for this application.

I figure my best and perhaps only real option is pocket carry. I'm looking for a quality handgun that is light weight, small, and preferably 9mm or larger (granted, larger may not be doable unless it's a wheel gun?). If you believe 9mm or larger is not possible under the aforementioned conditions, please feel free to say so.

Thoughts and opinions on best method of carry and most suitable handgun for that method would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
672 Posts
"I figure my best and perhaps only real option is pocket carry. I'm looking for a quality handgun that is light weight, small, and preferably 9mm or larger (granted, larger may not be doable unless it's a wheel gun?). If you believe 9mm or larger is not possible under the aforementioned conditions, please feel free to say so."

I do not feel caliber is as important as having a gun with you when you need it! Plus it should be something that you'll practice with, a lot.

Reactions: Ridgerunner79

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
My preferred carry gun is a 1911 in an Alessi shoulder holster when I have a jacket on. But in the summer I use a S&W 438 in an ankle holster or a S&W 640 in a cross draw holster with my shirt tail out. I tried pocket carry before with a Sig P230 and quickly learned the pistol hangs up or the holster tries to come out with the hand gun. Often I'll drop the 438 in my pocket to run to the store but putting on a holster is a better idea.

I readily agree the quickest draw is from your hip but clothing prevents this carry often. The shoulder holster is great because when you put it on you get your gun and two magazines at the same time.

I hope some of this helps you.

Reactions: Ridgerunner79

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
In your situation, I think the Glock 43 might be a good idea. It works for me in the pocket carry and I have installed a laser.
Art

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
In winter when I don't have to take the coat off, or if it is cold enough so I can wear a vest or sweater under the suit coat, I carry a G43 in a Mitch Rosen IWB rig.

In the summer when it's too bloody hot and humid to keep the coat on such as after church, or during/after a meeting where the coat is needed, I elect a Galco ankle rig for the same G43. I realize that an ankle rig is giving up large amounts of speed in the draw, but sometimes they are the best option-at least for me.

I don't really care for the tuck in IWB rigs, as they are pretty obvious to my eye, and a pocket holster for anything larger than a .32 looks rather ostentatious as well as being uncomfortable when seated-at least to me.

I suppose it depends upon the situation and how deep you want the concealment to be. Some places where showing a glimpse of a firearm will get you ostracized or in trouble, I go for the deeper hide over quicker draw; but that's me and based upon my experiences.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I am looking for opinions from others who carry concealed while wearing a suit, jacket on and jacket off. What do you guys carry?

I work in an office but leave the office regularly. When in the office, I never wear a suit jacket. When I leave the office for business related matters (which usually occurs daily for at least a couple of hours) I DO wear a suit jacket.

I'm having some difficulty figuring out my best options for concealed carry under the above conditions. I want to find a pistol that I can carry in both situations: in office without a jacket and out of the office with a suit jacket. In both cases I am wearing slacks, oxford shirt (tucked), and tie. I currently have a Glock 26, but it's just too big and heavy for this application.

I figure my best and perhaps only real option is pocket carry. I'm looking for a quality handgun that is light weight, small, and preferably 9mm or larger (granted, larger may not be doable unless it's a wheel gun?). If you believe 9mm or larger is not possible under the aforementioned conditions, please feel free to say so.

Thoughts and opinions on best method of carry and most suitable handgun for that method would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is: "Do I want to carry a gun that will do the job, . . . or do I just want to carry a gun?"

The military and police carry 9mm as the MINIMUM for a reason, . . . it is THE LEAST in size that will generally do the job. Add to that the .38 special, for revolver use.

Now if you just want to carry a gun, . . . a North American Arms .22 will do well in all the situations you mentioned.

BUT, . . . if you are serious, . . . then you can do like many of the rest of us do, . . . carry something that will work. I'd suggest first and foremost an all steel, . . . commander size 1911, . . . plenty of power, very concealable, . . . and at 71 years of age, . . . I can carry it all day with no problems, . . . and it will never be seen. I can actually do the same with a full size all steel, but the commander size is just a tad handier. I also have a micro, . . . but for the new gun owner, . . . the recoil on it is a handful.

Seriously, . . . decide what you want to do, . . . then make whatever accomodations you have to in order to make it work. You will be safer and those around you will be also, just by your presence.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My preferred carry gun is a 1911 in an Alessi shoulder holster when I have a jacket on. But in the summer I use a S&W 438 in an ankle holster or a S&W 640 in a cross draw holster with my shirt tail out. I tried pocket carry before with a Sig P230 and quickly learned the pistol hangs up or the holster tries to come out with the hand gun. Often I'll drop the 438 in my pocket to run to the store but putting on a holster is a better idea.

I readily agree the quickest draw is from your hip but clothing prevents this carry often. The shoulder holster is great because when you put it on you get your gun and two magazines at the same time.

I hope some of this helps you.
Several people have suggested a shoulder holster. My only problem with it is that it's not concealable without a jacket. Ankle holsters are something I really hadn't considered, though, and that might be a good option.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In your situation, I think the Glock 43 might be a good idea. It works for me in the pocket carry and I have installed a laser.
Art
I've handled the G43 in the store and it seemed a little large for pocket carry on me. What kind of pants do you wear that allows you to pocket carry a G43?

Also, what kind of laser? Crimson trace or the guide rod laser?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I carry a Sig P238 .380 behind my right hip wearing a suit with a jacket on/off on a regular basis. The 938 in 9mm isn't much larger. I've been patted down (by friends) with the P238 in that position and it's been missed multiple times.
Cowpoke, what kind of holster do you use for this and how do you keep folks from seeing the pistol grip when you have your jacket off?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is: "Do I want to carry a gun that will do the job, . . . or do I just want to carry a gun?"

The military and police carry 9mm as the MINIMUM for a reason, . . . it is THE LEAST in size that will generally do the job. Add to that the .38 special, for revolver use.

Now if you just want to carry a gun, . . . a North American Arms .22 will do well in all the situations you mentioned.

BUT, . . . if you are serious, . . . then you can do like many of the rest of us do, . . . carry something that will work. I'd suggest first and foremost an all steel, . . . commander size 1911, . . . plenty of power, very concealable, . . . and at 71 years of age, . . . I can carry it all day with no problems, . . . and it will never be seen. I can actually do the same with a full size all steel, but the commander size is just a tad handier. I also have a micro, . . . but for the new gun owner, . . . the recoil on it is a handful.

Seriously, . . . decide what you want to do, . . . then make whatever accomodations you have to in order to make it work. You will be safer and those around you will be also, just by your presence.

May God bless,
Dwight
Dwight, I would love to carry a 1911, but I really don't know how to conceal a pistol that large on my person. All things considered, I love the .45 and 1911s in particular. If I can't conceal it, though, then it's not really an option. Hence my primary consideration is 9mm.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In winter when I don't have to take the coat off, or if it is cold enough so I can wear a vest or sweater under the suit coat, I carry a G43 in a Mitch Rosen IWB rig.

In the summer when it's too bloody hot and humid to keep the coat on such as after church, or during/after a meeting where the coat is needed, I elect a Galco ankle rig for the same G43. I realize that an ankle rig is giving up large amounts of speed in the draw, but sometimes they are the best option-at least for me.

I don't really care for the tuck in IWB rigs, as they are pretty obvious to my eye, and a pocket holster for anything larger than a .32 looks rather ostentatious as well as being uncomfortable when seated-at least to me.

I suppose it depends upon the situation and how deep you want the concealment to be. Some places where showing a glimpse of a firearm will get you ostracized or in trouble, I go for the deeper hide over quicker draw; but that's me and based upon my experiences.
Mike,

I have yet to really carry a pistol regularly, and the lack of concealable options is the deterrent. I don't much care for IWB, either, just because I haven't seen an option that really conceals fully. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just not familiar with them. I have tried IWB with my Glock 26 and it's a no go unless I'm really dressed for it. Even then, it feels like a monster hanging on my hip.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Does the G43 print with an ankle holster much? Frankly, I'm warming up to the idea of an ankle holster because of the several suggestions to try it.
I guess it depends on your pant legs. You have to wear your pants with a little flair, no boot legs. Fortunately paints with a single crease above the cuff are in style now, that generally gives you more room. See if you can borrow an ankle holster from someone as they do take a little getting used too. The extra weight can be felt when you walk. I used to carry a S&W air weight 38 on my ankle without any problems.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.