M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11,160 Posts
I love the Ultimak M8 rail but you have remember that the rail will put the scope so far forward that unless it's (the scope) designed for extended eye relief, you wont be able to see properly through it.

Putting the scope over the barrel is commonly referred to as the scout scope configuration. For this configuration you need to look for an extended eye relief (EER) scope. Most scopes built for this configuration are going to be either a fixed low power, around 1x - 3x magnification, or a variable that will run from 1.5x - 7x.

I use the Ultimak rail and a Nikon Encore 2.5-8x28mm scope.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Riflescopes/8481/Encore-2.5-8x28-Extended-Eye-Relief-Matte-BDC.html

I've used my setup for 400 yard shots and I was able to keep my group under 10" with my SOCOM

· Registered
11,160 Posts
I like the Sadlak and the Basset mounts. I have a Sadlak Airborne (steel) on one of my rifles and it went on without a hitch and has never moved (I've had it on for a couple of years and have fired several hundred rounds with on the rifle).

If you want a dedicated scoped rifle (as opposed to being able to switch between irons and the scope) then the Sadlak is the best way to go. While there rare occasions where the mount wont fit, Sadlak will fix the problem, just like other manufacturers will do when their mount doesn't fit.

The Basset is a nice option if you want to be able to remove the scope and mount and return to iron sights easily. It doesn't return to zero perfectly but close enough that most people won't have a problem with slight error. The Basset is also the easiest to put on and take off.

1 - 2 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.