M14 Forum banner

Suggestions on a Scope and Rail

2255 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  DustinBurgin
I would like to start by introduce myself, my name is Dustin a SSgt in the USAF and a proud owner of a new Springfield M1A. Being an aircraft mechanic shooting is more of a hobby and much less of a job requirement lol. I also own a DPMS AR-15 and a Glock 19, but thought it was time something with a little more kick and the M1A was an obvious choice.

As the title says, I am looking for suggestions on Scope and rail for my M1A but without spending too much on them. My M1A is just a plain entry level rifle that will be shooting lower end 145gr ammo for just general target practice and the occasional hunting trip (LOL and to scare any potential boyfriends that my daughter brings home when she gets older).

I am looking for a single rail hand guard style setup that replaces the ugly piece of brown plastic that’s on it now. As for the scope I am just looking for one that will work for general shooting but not be a POS that will break 6 months down the line
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

Well if you are looking for a rail that replaces the handguard there are a couple brands that you should look at.

-Voltor has a rail that replaces only the handguard and would only alow for a scout style optic forward of the receaver.

-AmegaRanges also has a mount similar to the Voltor and would also need a scout style optic.

-Ultimak has one they also use a scout style optic, I personaly own 2 one for my M1 Carbine and one for my Mini14, and would say these are top notch.

-And finally the last is the Troy Battle rail which goes from the front of the stock all the way back to the rear iron sight. This requires the rear iron sight to be removed but this is no hard task all you need is a flat head screw driver. A plus with this system is that you can use either a scout scope or a standerd type of scope.

On the scope I cant really help you with out knowing what you realy are going to use it for, but I would look at these.

-Millett TRS-1 4-16x50
-Bushnell Elite 10x-40
-SS 10x40
-Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50

These are all low budget scopes that I have use that did well for me and I still have the Millett on my M-14, and the Bushnell on my Mini14

Good Shooting.

TXS

Reactions: DustinBurgin

· Registered
10,990 Posts
I love the Ultimak M8 rail but you have remember that the rail will put the scope so far forward that unless it's (the scope) designed for extended eye relief, you wont be able to see properly through it.

Putting the scope over the barrel is commonly referred to as the scout scope configuration. For this configuration you need to look for an extended eye relief (EER) scope. Most scopes built for this configuration are going to be either a fixed low power, around 1x - 3x magnification, or a variable that will run from 1.5x - 7x.

I use the Ultimak rail and a Nikon Encore 2.5-8x28mm scope.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Riflescopes/8481/Encore-2.5-8x28-Extended-Eye-Relief-Matte-BDC.html

I've used my setup for 400 yard shots and I was able to keep my group under 10" with my SOCOM

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see what you guys are saying, looks like I would be better off with a receiver mount.

Can you please recommend a decent priced receiver mount?

On the scope, it will mostly be used for having fun with my buddies picking off beer cans and a little target shooting at the range, oh and the occasional hunting trip. I was hoping to find one for about $150 but I am willing to pay a little extra to get a quality product.

I just want to make sure I am not paying for a item with features that I will never need and or use.

· Registered
573 Posts
Well since you want to go with a receaver mount the best are.

-Sadalk (Are a copy of the Brook Field Precision mount, which are very good)

-ARMS 18 (I own one and for me its great, its low enough that if I wont to take of the scope I can use the irons)

-Basset (which are good for M1As since some have out of spec receavers, but the Basset solves this issue, and you can take it off with out having to ever re-zero your scope. I would highly recomend this mount and have personaly talked with the creator of it and they will work with you if you ever have a problem or need any thing.

-Smith Interprises (Are a copy of the Brook Field Precision mount, which are very good)

These are the mounts that I would recomend you look at. On the scope if you only want to pay about $150 I cant help you, but for $230-$250 depending on were you get it, the Bushnell Elite 10x40 is a good scope I have one on my Mini 14 and it has held up great, I switched it off my M-14 once I got enough for something different.

Good Shooting.

TXS

· Registered
2,590 Posts
I currently have an ARMS 18, but I just recieved a CASM RD (Red Dot) rear sight mount and I had recieved the CASM earlier by mistake. When I asked about the return they let me keep the CASM....good on them I say.

I can attest to the construction quality at this point - both are impressive enought to me (but that's just me).

You can see the stuff and a video over at www.m14.ca (a Canadian firm).

I got the RD one as I am going to try that with a Burris Fastfire III and this mount still allows the use of front iron sight.

The RD model is anodized, almost a parkerized color with the rail black matte. The full mount (CASM) is matte black.

I'll post a few package pics later on.

PS - I don't work for these guys, nor have any monetary interest in them, just liked the design and it happened to be theirs that fit what I was looking for (iron sights and aiming device).

5,633 Posts
I run a Sadlak Airborne receiver scope mount on my M1A. I cannot possibly give any higher consumer praise as I do for this particular scope mount. It is the bee's knees and I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it.

As to a scope, I have a Leupold Mark 4 8x50mm M1 that is absolutely outstanding. However, it is pricey at ~$1600.00 (I scored a workplace discount and bought mine for much less).

· Registered
10,990 Posts
I like the Sadlak and the Basset mounts. I have a Sadlak Airborne (steel) on one of my rifles and it went on without a hitch and has never moved (I've had it on for a couple of years and have fired several hundred rounds with on the rifle).

If you want a dedicated scoped rifle (as opposed to being able to switch between irons and the scope) then the Sadlak is the best way to go. While there rare occasions where the mount wont fit, Sadlak will fix the problem, just like other manufacturers will do when their mount doesn't fit.

The Basset is a nice option if you want to be able to remove the scope and mount and return to iron sights easily. It doesn't return to zero perfectly but close enough that most people won't have a problem with slight error. The Basset is also the easiest to put on and take off.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are the mounts that I would recomend you look at. On the scope if you only want to pay about $150 I cant help you, but for $230-$250 depending on were you get it, the Bushnell Elite 10x40 is a good scope I have one on my Mini 14 and it has held up great, I switched it off my M-14 once I got enough for something different.

Good Shooting.

TXS
LOL I see that $150 is not going to happen! Like I said, I am willing to spend a little extra to get the right product the first time.

I will do some googling tomorrow and see what mount I like best and start saving my pennies for a Bushnell scope.

Thank you all very much!

· Registered
14 Posts
Glad to help, Dustin. I am running the Burris XTR low rings, which gives plenty of clearance over the irons and hand guard, but won't allow you to use the iron sights. If you use the Bassett mount, most have said it returns fairly close to zero when remounting, so if you need irons, you can take it on/off relatively easily. I was able to "boresight" the scope out to 50 yards using the irons cranked all the way down (not 8 clicks up for 100 yards). I torqued the scope rings down to 22 in-lbs (mount bolts at 65), and nothing has come loose after 5 trips to the range (checked after each trip). And that's with no blue locktite on the scope ring bolts. Your results may vary, obviously. This was with the Bassett low mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.