M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of having a Bula XM21 built, and am looking at options for flash suppressors. The flash suppressor does not need to have a bayonet lug, or a front sight since there is no rear iron sight on the XM21. Although I have looked at the NM USGI type, I am not totally set on that. In fact, I would prefer it to be a bit shorter and more compact than the USGI one if possible.

I do not want a muzzle break that spews and belches louder noise and sharp cracks to my hearing. I want something that keeps the blast relatively the same (or minimal) during firing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
532 Posts
My personal choice is the M14 Direct Connect (DC) Vortex Flash Eliminator. Put it on by hand, self tightens with use and also functions very well! Also, gives the barrel a nice short mean look!

Leon McKee

P.S. I also like what Kurt has suggested, but I have no first hand experience with the SureFire blast deflector.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
The issued flash suppressor works pretty good. If there is something more effective at suppressing flashes... I want to see it.
Three prong hiders perform the exact same task, but with less carbon buildup and no flute erosion.

One of the neatest I seen was on an older SAI rifle. It was a standard USGI flash hider with the front half cut off and beveled.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
Does anyone have experience with just a thread protector? I would think it would improve accuracy to remove a long and heavy junk of steel from the muzzle.
Yes. I found the rifle less accurate and the POI shifted upward. Having something on the end of the barrel seems to act as a harmonic balancer of sort.

The companies offering NY compliant front ends seem to be making the barrel heavier, to compensate for this.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I'm participating in the group buy. I'm going to get the short barrel option. What would be a suggestion to have a front sight without a 4-5 inch flashider? I would like to keep the sight radius as long as possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I briefly shot my scout length barrel with just a thread protector. I'm not sure if accuracy was any worse, but it was noticeably louder.

Yes. I found the rifle less accurate and the POI shifted upward. Having something on the end of the barrel seems to act as a harmonic balancer of sort.

The companies offering NY compliant front ends seem to be making the barrel heavier, to compensate for this.

·
Premium Member
20,858 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.