M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We built a 100 yard range here on the farm. We're really bored putting holes in paper and using a spotter scope.

We want action!

What kind of spinner targets should we get for 7.62, 30-06, .30 Carbine and the eastern block type rifles at 100 yards?

Also, I read somewhere that there is a company who makes a special metal target which fragments the rounds downward which avoids ricochets? It was called something like 404 steel or something?

Any suggestions, links, advice, etc. will be very appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's called AR500, or at least the common stuff that I'm aware of is. If you search that you'll come up with an enormous amount of options. Personally I just buy plates 1 or 2 at a time off eBay and hang them from carriage bolts(cover the bolt holes) and chain but there are some companies that make really nice but expensive setups with spinners and stands. All sorts of animals and stuff. I'm going to get some pepper poppers, I think their called, next. They jump back up after getting hit. If you've never shot steel I recommend doing a few minutes of reading on the safety issues, minimum ranges and steel thicknesses per firearm category. And make sure you angle your stationary plates down or hang them such that they absorb the kinetic energy and don't reflect it right back at you. They make brackets that do that for you. I got whacked pretty hard by a 9mm slug at 25 yards with my first setup. which was a plate that was hanging but touching the ground. Stupid, but I didn't know any better. It's a ton of fun though and mostly what I shoot. And do yourself a favor and don't buy the Walmart ones, well buy those too I guess, but they are often improperly tempered. I was taking longer range pot shots with my cougar 8000 the second day I had one and a round hit a soft spot in the steel and sailed right through. Cool, not. Which brings up another point, the cheap ones are going to get stove in quickly and become dangerous. Holes create reflection points and shearing surfaces(I made that one up) that can cause pieces of bullets to come right back at you. I've 'seen' that happen too. Ive taught myself everything I know...

https://youtu.be/0GpKZzt29BM

Actually I should clarify, youtube and forums like this have taught me everything I know. Scary right? If I knew even one person with more firearms knowledge than me in real life I'd follow them around like a puppy.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's called AR500, or at least the common stuff that I'm aware of is. If you search that you'll come up with an enormous amount of options. Personally I just but plates 1 or 2 at a time off eBay but there are some companies that make really nice but expensive setups with spinners and stands. All sorts of animal and stuff. if you've never shot steel I recommend doing a few minutes of reading on the safety issues and make sure you angle your stationary plates down or hang them such that they absorb the kinetic energy and don't reflect it right back at you. I got whacked by a 9mm at 25 yards with my first setup which was a plate that was hanging but touching the ground. Stupid, but I didn't know any better. It's the most fun though and mostly what I shoot.
"I got whacked by a 9mm at 25 yards with my first setup which was a plate that was hanging but touching the ground." YIKES!!!

Most of the guys around here use old plow discs and/or old pickup truck tailgates and such . . . NOT ON MY RANGE! That is exactly what I want to avoid . . . accidents.

Thanks for the post and especially the 9mm story.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I use plenty of AR-500 targets at my 150 yd range. Some are from Big Dog Steel. Great folks to deal with.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e149/Easter%202020%204.jpg.html][/URL]

Meet " Willie the Wrat". To the right of my 100yd target boards is a reactive precision rifle target from Big Dog Steel. This poor guy takes a beating. All my AR-500 targets are hung at an angle so bullet fragments are deflected at the ground.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_1949_zpszcnm5lig.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did a googlization . . . JUMPING CATFISH! Thousands of stuff . . .

Anyone here have a range that uses the AR500 steel targets?

Would you let me know what you use and some vendors for the standard 20 inch by 20 inch profile targets and the spinners?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use plenty of AR-500 targets at my 150 yd range. Some are from Big Dog Steel. Great folks to deal with.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e149/Easter%202020%204.jpg.html][/URL]

Meet " Willie the Wrat". To the right of my 100yd target boards is a reactive precision rifle target from Big Dog Steel. This poor guy takes a beating. All my AR-500 targets are hung at an angle so bullet fragments are deflected at the ground.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_1949_zpszcnm5lig.jpg.html][/URL]
Man! WOW!
I am impressed, no kidding. That's what we wanna do!

There's 800 acres here to play on but we can't do more than our 100 yards because my cousin farms. Only when crops are not growing and there is no open hunting seasons can we can play on the rest of the land.

We want to try 500 to 1,000 yards this year before the corn gets too high. So this is our urgent mission: Get some steel FAST! LOL!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Yes, AR500 steel is what you'll want to ding high caliber rifle cartridges off of metal, I have several 3/8" thick targets that would be good for the calibers you stated and you'll probably want maybe 1/2" thick if shooting larger calibers. I have shot a .338 Lapua on mine at a couple of hundred yards leaving a very slight dimple but the smaller 30 cal bullets leave nothing but chipped paint, the AR500 is tough stuff. As far as bullet deflection, I'm pretty sure most all manufactured steel targets are set up to hang at an angle so that the bullet fragments deflect down towards the ground after being hit, all of mine are.

I buy all of my AR500 targets from Magnum Targets, they've always treated me right, have a good selection, offer free shipping and you can call them on the phone if you have any questions.

https://magnumtarget.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
you are blessed with your shooting ground!

If you want go reilly safe, use frangible ammunition ( I know, the price... )

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Using a harrow disk that is convex like that, I would sure worry about ricochets.
Seems that would just be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Using a harrow disk that is convex like that, I would sure worry about ricochets.
I was wondering about that as well. Seems like a hit at 12-o'clock would send them upward. Typically steel targets hang at a downward angle.

Does a rifle round punch holes in it, or does the convex shape of the disc and mobility keep that from happening?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
Shoot into the curve/concaved dish. And, yes you can punch holes in them just weld them up. Plow blade are case hardened so they will crack and fragment.....
Play safe out there boys....

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I'm with Art about being concerned with ricocheting on that setup, if I had an old disc blade and a welder I'd forgo the steel target and make a cooker out of the disc...

And buy proper steel targets, they're not that expensive.

·
Registered
Burn It Down
253 Posts
I have them hanging on 4 feet of belting .at almost 30 degrees to the ground at 100 to 400 yards. They are loud and swing and twist pretty good if hit right, no ricochet. The discs I use have a 3 inch hole and four 1/2 inch mounting holes and I bolt directly to the belting. You can drop a clay pigeon into the center hole from the back. They are pretty durable but they do get holes, cracks, and chunks blown off, but that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, forgot to mention, my friend got me a small roll of used fire hose that I am going to rehang my plates with. A lot of people use that, or like the belting mentioned above. It can take a lot of shots through it before it comes apart. Like webbing, it's meant to hold even when pretty compromised. I agree about the concave plates. I'd call that a no-go, I think it will pretty efficiently redirect lead splatter right back at you or worse, someone standing next to you. Maybe flipped so the bell is facing you but I still think nothing beats a flat ar500 plate angled groundward

1 - 20 of 45 Posts