M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys your manufactured subsonic ammo? Been looking and found some on gunbroker but I feel that $50 is way too much for a box....

Also, do any of you custom load any subsonics?

I would think that some of the heavier 180-210gr bullets might be good for subs....

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Where do you guys your manufactured subsonic ammo? Been looking and found some on gunbroker but I feel that $50 is way too much for a box....

Also, do any of you custom load any subsonics?

I would think that some of the heavier 180-210gr bullets might be good for subs....
EBR should have some distributors linked.

SRT is a good source

http://www.ebr-inc.net/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ouch!...... Still it's $56 for a box of 20 for the practice rounds

Ok, anybody have any recipes using 180gr bullets?

I'm about to go to Cabelas and going to pick up some heavy 308 diameter pills, just gotta find a good powder...

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
BE CAREFUL messing with subsonic load development!
I think you are trying to tell them about detonation !

I am pretty sure that is how Grenades were invented GI2

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was screwing around with some sellier&bellot 147 grain ammo. i dumped out the powder and poured a pen caps worth back in. the rounds were half as loud, but came out blackened and rain-bowed. and with a dent on the rim. any body know if this is a bad idea? just looking to go subsonic without getting fancy. they cycled fine. if i turn off the gas valve am i good to screw around or can i blow my rifle up?dance2

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
i was screwing around with some sellier&bellot 147 grain ammo. i dumped out the powder and poured a pen caps worth back in. the rounds were half as loud, but came out blackened and rain-bowed. and with a dent on the rim. any body know if this is a bad idea? just looking to go subsonic without getting fancy. they cycled fine. if i turn off the gas valve am i good to screw around or can i blow my rifle up?dance2
I was not joking in post#11.

Some powders/charges can not be reduced. The Charge detonates instead of having a controlled burn rate and expansion.
Dresden said "Be Careful" and he was not kidding.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
I was not joking in post#11.

Some powders/charges can not be reduced. The Charge detonates instead of having a controlled burn rate and expansion.
Dresden said "Be Careful" and he was not kidding.
Sgt John *hits you not, you can blow your firearm up and maim/kill yourself with the wrong combination, real quick.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Even with the right powder i wouldnt go popping off rounds with tons of unused case capacity.

I am no expert here but im no expert in jumping out of airplanes either but i can certainly tell you its not for everybody and not something you just do.

Imagine testing a home built parachute with no formal knowledge or mentoring on its construction.

Does anyone have some commercial subsonic .308 that is willing to pull it apart wih a die so we can see how its made.

I would think in many cases they would use a filler so that the small bit of powder is kept at the bottom around the primer. Like tissue confetti or something that would burn away quickly.

Switch to .300 blk... its DESIGNED for subsonic. I.e. low case capacity.

Again im not an expert but i feel like experimenting with subsonic loads in a cartridge designed to fly at 2500+ fps is dangerous.

Those who have a safe load have a good product and thats why, i assume they can sell it for top dollar.

Id like to hear from Rammac. I dont recall reading about him loading for a suppressed weapon, but id be interested to hear any thoughts he may have on the subject.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I know this is not exactly the same case but My BIL and I were trying to get a stuck .58 Cal Mini-Ball out of a real Civil War Springfield Rifle.
They weigh like an ounce !
The power charge was fouled and wet (if there even was a charge). We cleared out the Nipple and put powder in by hand a few granules at a time. The bullet would move forward a little at a time. We checked with a marked rod to check it's progress.
Finally we had about 3 inches of "room" from nipple to base of bullet. This after many tries and the projectile moving a fraction of an inch each time.
I got about 4.0 to 5.0 grains of powder in there. The Rifle takes load of 50.0 to 60.0 usually!
This time when we fired a cap the Rifle FIRED and almost knocked him off balance.The bullet left the barrel this time!
It kicked way more than a full load 50/60 grain charge.
DETONATION!
Well we got the Mini-Ball out and did not Blow up the Gun up.

I am not saying that with the Correct powder and charge you can't make a reliable and safe reduced >308 Sub Sonic Load all I am saying is the wrong one can Blow up you and the Gun.

Have Safe fun out there!

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
i was screwing around with some sellier&bellot 147 grain ammo. i dumped out the powder and poured a pen caps worth back in. the rounds were half as loud, but came out blackened and rain-bowed. and with a dent on the rim. any body know if this is a bad idea?
Yes, it's a bad idea. See the above post about not screwing around with subsonic loads unless you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING?GI2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.