M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a box of linked roadway green. I'm just wondering the best way to unlink them without breaking anything? Thanks.

Reactions: johnnykck

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I just received a box of linked roadway green. I'm just wondering the best way to unlink them without breaking anything? Thanks.
Lennyo3034, the stoopid questions are the ones ya don't ask and make a mistake . . there are no stupid questions.

I just wear a pair of gloves and push the rounds through the links, hard on the thumbs. I know there are better ways and someone smarter than me will respond soon . . . yer not gonna break anythingGI2 . .

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Excellent question. I'm in the same situation. In my old age I've learned that there is always someone out there who can do it easier and quicker. The trick is to get them to share what they know....LOL

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hold the linked ammo in one hand and press the end round point down against the edge of a firm surface.

Easy to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another question on linked ammo

I've read on another site where the moderator states that one should NOT use any linked ammo in a semi auto rifle as it's all loaded hot and for machine gun use only.

Just asking the question, is this linked ammo (Radway Green) safe to shoot in a M1A? What about the linked Port ammo as well?

Thanks in advance for any answers/reviews.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Hot machine gun ammo is a myth

I've read on another site where the moderator states that one should NOT use any linked ammo in a semi auto rifle as it's all loaded hot and for machine gun use only.

Just asking the question, is this linked ammo (Radway Green) safe to shoot in a M1A? What about the linked Port ammo as well?

It's al NATO 7.62 X 51 ball. No worries.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Functions just fine. Over 1K rounds without an issue.

I use gloves and a piece of soft lumber. Point down into the lumber and good push straight down and out she comes. No hammer required. Reminds me of an old girlfriend.

Enjoy the Radway Green whilst I think about my old girlfriend.

Happy 4th of July.

Ole Silver

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
The lost art of Research is doing great...

It's a very common misconception that machine gun ammunition is loaded any hotter than rifle ammunition. All 7.62x51mm is the same, loaded from the same machines, it's just been either linked or put into a cardboard box or onto strippers clips! Now that's a big difference to talk about
. Match ammunition is loaded from a different set of spec's all together.

Here is a listing of good ammunition to fire through your M1A.

M118LR Lake City
German DAG
M118SB Lake City
M852
Radway Green
M118SB Lake City
Australian
Portuguese
Belgium
Bosnian
South African
Santa Barbra
Argentine
Austria
Greek
German MEN
Singapore
Israeli
Australian ADI
Bosnian M118
Yugoslavia
Malaysian
Lithuanian

Venezuelan
Denmark
Canadian
Chilean

A good listing to start with.....DI5

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
what are some avoid at all cost brands
Just my opinion of course... DI5

#1, Indian, 1990's.
#2, Israeli, Tz 1980.
#3, Yugoslavia, S & B from 1980-1983 surplus headstamp O O.
#4, Czechoslovakia, 1969.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I second that 24th except the Czech just cause I have never ran across it, fortunately I guess.

On that Radway, if the four digit L _ _ _ number is still on the can, you can cross ref it to US M _ _ number on Wikipedia. Just guessing but probally M80

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for all the information on the linked ammo being safe for M1A's and such. I thought that this might be the case but the moderator on this "other site" was sure adamant about NOT using it. I'm going with you guys info.

Side note on XXIV Corp reply. I had some Venezuelan ammo back in the 80's (70's manufacture?) that had a recall on it from Century Arms. Seems to remember that it was loaded way too hot. Sure wish I could remember all the details. (I know, it's hell getting old. Sorry.)

Thank you all once again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.