M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few ARs before but I don't think I've put more than 100 rounds through them before I sold them, more of a wood and steel guy, anyway...

I built a new AR, haven't shot it yet, just mounted a purchased upper to a lower I built, cycled the action a dozen times or so, practiced mag changes, ect. Then I noticed a gouge it appears from the Ejection Port cover on the upper receiver. It is on both sides of the upper. I haven't noticed this before on any previous ARs I had. Is this normal?

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Totally normal marking of the metal where the detent tip contacts the upper receiver. BTW not a stupid question. If you don't know the answer find someone that does. That can prevent damage if there really was a problem. There are a ton of people here on the forum that are more then willing to answer questions. Many of us are or were armorers in the various military branches.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
It's a bit more wear than both of mine. But not a bad thing. Maybe this is a spot for the hobbyist to apply a small bit if grease.

I also grease the bottom of the bolt carrier where it rubs the hammer.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, AR newbie, not forum newbie ;)

It's on both sides, I knew it was 'caused' by the ejection port detent, I didn't know if it was relieved by design, or if the detent bound and the carrier forced it open anyways chipping the receiver..

Thanks Again,
Justin

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks guys, AR newbie, not forum newbie ;)

It's on both sides, I knew it was 'caused' by the ejection port detent, I didn't know if it was relieved by design, or if the detent bound and the carrier forced it open anyways chipping the receiver..

Thanks Again,
Justin
Looking at your photo, I agree with the rest of the guys since it looks like where your detent is for your dust cover.

My 0.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.