M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of cleaning my M-14 and had a triangular cotton swab in the loop. Now it is stuck about 1/3 down barrel. Other than not doing it again, is there a suggestion for getting it out?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but Have you tried to punch it out with a cleaning rod?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I hesitate to do that. The loop is stuck about 3 inches inside breech and the rope is projecting outside muzzle.
tighten the rope that is extended from muzzle in a vise and PULL!!!

I had this happen to a rifle with an Otis patch.....it worked.

We are luckier than the other fellow who had no way to pull on anything.

·
Eye Master
4,065 Posts
Give it a good yank. You might need to lubricate it with several beers first.

If that does not work, load up a with maybe 2 or 3 grains of powder, and shoot it out.

After the beers, this will seem like a MUCH better idea that it appears to be while first reading this message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a stainless steel fishhook and straighten it with pliars and/or vise grips. Go in from the chamber and try (very carefully) to catch the "hook" or a piece of the boresnake, then try to get a little of the boresnake out of the chamber. If you get some of the snake out, that is the beginning. Then carefully pull little by little without breaking the snake piece. Use light weight oil may help. I'm thinking the fishhook will reach the boresnake and catch a piece of it. Be very careful not to scratch the inside of the chamber or bore. Pulling will be the solution----I think.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Primed case (no powder) and pull trigger?

Primers have a good amount of oomph and should not have enough pressure to harm the barrel. Turn off the gas spindle valve and point is a safe direction........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Id take a hardwood dowel and just tap it out. Squirt a little CLP or whatever you have available down the barrel then just push the rope in and let it wad up. It will compress and should come right out with a few taps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK I read the other thread about the stuck bore snake. I strongly suggest NOT to try shooting the barrel obstruction out. Read Hatchers Note Book. You'll be able to get it out with a screw on a cleaning rod. It might take awhile but it will work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nooooo!!!

NEVER use wood rod to clear a bore obstruction.
Cannot count number of broken wood rods I have had to drill out of customer rifles in 30 years. Always use a close fitting steel or brass rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts