M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been trying to mount a scope on my PolyTech I got this year. Having a heck of a time getting the guide off the receiver. Is there a trick to this or do you have a special tool like a sight pusher to remove it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Turn the receiver upside down and use a punch (3/32") and light taps from a hammer to push the pin holding the guide out. The clip guide will then slide right out. When I did mine it took a fair amount of force to drive the pin out, but it will go. On my SA M1A it was a hollow pin, so make sure that you don't use a punch that is too small; if it is you will drive the punch into the pin and actually expand the pin.

·
Registered
170 Posts
leave that job to the pros.

HA HA HA HA just kidding ;)

but seriously, IIRC it's supposed to be driven out from one side, and not the other. I can't remember which. I do remember that installing mine took some effort.

·
Registered
170 Posts
seriously, I was kidding, it's definitely a DIY level project, just find out which way it's supposed to be driven out first.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It should be driven out towards the bolt stop. Wack it on the op rod side.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha FarmerJ:

This is not so unusual, I've had some pretty tight clip guides that I've run across and they can be really tough to get out.

Try some Kroil lubricant in between the cracks of the clip guide just to get some lubrication in there. Normally (but mostly the older styles) dove tails were tapered and intended to be installed from the left and removed from the right as Quad indicated. I think the clip guide dovetail is not tapered and can be driven from both sides, but I would do as Quag said to be on the safe side...

I used a (strong) wooden dowel, plastic and brass punches in the past on really stubborn ones.

Have some hold it steady for you if possible or brace it so the receiver won't move or roll over. That should give you a steady platform to "whack" the clip guide.

Good Luck and I hope it goes well for you.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
My gunsmith heated my stripper guide a little with a torch, then "whacked" it with a ball peen hammer and nylon drift punch just the way Quag described. Came right off.

Don't know why the heat worked, but it did. :D

HTH

db

·
Registered
170 Posts
BTW remove the action from the stock, and disassemble it before smacking away. also, I'm sure you know that the better the receiver is supported, and the closer the support is to the dovetail, the less force you will have to apply and the less chance for damage.

support the receiver on a good hard piece of wood or hard plastic, and drive the guide insert out with a brass drift and a big enough hammer. if the hammer is too small, you have to work too hard and you will not swing as straight. IIRC I used at 24 oz ball pein hammer.

HTH

·
Registered
66 Posts
Removal of the Stripper Clip Guide - WARNING

The upper recess portion of the receiver holding the clip guide onto the receiver doesn't have too much metal supporting the clip guide and can easily be broken by trying too hard to bang off the clip guide.
If you are having trouble taking off the clip guide you will also have trouble trying to install the scope mount because I have found these mounts provides a very tight fit on US maufactured receivers and your receiver appears to have even a smaller clip guide recess. So don't bang too hard taking the clip guide off or bang to hard putting th scope mount on.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
If it's really tight, all you need is a little penetrating oil like liquid wrench.
Put a couple drops on the front and back and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Clamp the receiver in a smooth jaw bench vice.
Use a 3/8 or 1/2" brass drift and ball peen hammer and drive it out from right to left (with muzzle forward). If it went in, it''ll come out. It's just a little dry in the groove.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks guys.
The ARMS instructions show it removing on the oprod side of the rifle. I read the troubleshooting thread and found out it comes out on the bolt stop side. It's out now!
Dave

·
Registered
359 Posts
GUYS:
listen to quagmire he is correct to drive the clip guide out of the receiver drive it out from the windage knob side to the bolt lock side with a brass hammer or drift. its because the dove tail is tapered in wedge to form fit metal to metal to keep out the slop. jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.