M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm removing my scope mount and want to re-install the stripper clip guide. Maybe a dumb question but I want to be sure. Which way do I put the roll pin back. I know when you remove it you drive the pin from the underside of the receiver. Does it go back the same way or or does it get driven in from the top of the stripper clip guide?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
Installing Clip Guide

You can install the pin either way. Just make sure the pin doesn't protrude on either side. Install the clip guide from the left side (the bolt lock side) of the receiver dove tail.

·
Registered
278 Posts
guide

If installing a new guide that needs material removed to slide in, where do you remove the metal from and how?

Sorry about the hijack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick reply Mr. Brown. While we are on the subject, is the stripper clip guide a necessary part of the rifle. What I mean is do I have to have it on the rifle for it to function properly or can I leave it off if I like the way it looks without it attached.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply Mr. Brown. While we are on the subject, is the stripper clip guide a necessary part of the rifle. What I mean is do I have to have it on the rifle for it to function properly or can I leave it off if I like the way it looks without it attached.
The rifle will work fine without the guide; most scope mounts require the guide's removal but no problem results. However, before you toss the guide, try actually using it to reload a mag. You might like the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed one, several years ago. The pin would not quite seat flush with the top of the stripper guide. One side of the pin was flush the other side stuck up just a little, so I left it. I have read before that you can crack a receiver if there is a burr in the receiver. If there is more resistance at a certain point, don't pound it in twice as hard. On the other hand don't go to far in as it could intefere with bolt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just put one back on my SuperMatch M1A.I had to order one from Fulton Armory the guy that I got the rifle from had a stripper guide that was drilled and tapped for a scope mount,and I wanted to replace it with an orginal.I had to do a little fitting with a smooth wetstone once I did that it slid on a little more than halfway then I took a brass punch and gently taped it into place,put the rollpin in and good to go,easy just take your time and don't force it on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts