M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha Everyone!

I wanted to share some pics of a current project that I have been doing. I purchased two Birch USGI stocks in usable condition and have been refinishing them... while this was going on, I fortunately came across two Walnut stocks that also had GREAT potential. These are the before and after pics that I tried to squeeze in while working on this project.

This is how the stocks came.

The old finish needed to be stripped off.

After some new finish was applied, steel wool was used to reduce the gloss finish. The stock on the far right is a Walnut with stripes. The Walnut with Fiddleback is on the Poly that I recently acquired.

Those shots above were without flash and these shots are with the flash on.

Now, the only thing left is to give the stocks a final buff, wax and re-install the metal that were removed during the process. Because these were USGI stocks, some of the dings could not be 100% repaired. But as a friend once told me, they add character to the stocks... :lol:

The stripes and figure are definitely inherent in the wood. I hope you enjoyed these pics.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very nice Tom. Let me see :roll: , is this for a present M-14 or are we expecting again? :lol:

Greg

P.S. I'm still looking for that Smith M-14 for you.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha Greg,

These were stocks that I was practicing on. I would like to refine my skills at refinishing stocks... and this was GREAT therapy!!!

BTW: I missed out on a Smith Ent. for $1499 before I left on my travel, and I was disappointed but... that's the way it goes... So, if you run across one, please let me know...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dighawaii said:
Aloha Greg,

These were stocks that I was practicing on. I would like to refine my skills at refinishing stocks... and this was GREAT therapy!!!

BTW: I missed out on a Smith Ent. for $1499 before I left on my travel, and I was disappointed but... that's the way it goes... So, if you run across one, please let me know...

Aloha,

Tom O.
$1499 ! 8O

I feel your pain Tom. That's a killer price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts