M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rem 700 in 7 Rem Mag which I've had sitting in a Bell/Carlson stock with aluminum chassis block. Have put maybe 50 rounds or so through since placing this receiver in the stock. Was thinking of doing a glass bedding job to make it a bit more solid shooting. Upon removing the receiver from the stock, I noticed striation marks on both the aluminum block and the underside of the receiver, as shown in the below photos. Neither of these marks were there when I first mated the receiver to the stock.

What is the cause of this? Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I wonder if that block had raised ribs to stabilize a bedding job. Somehow, other than not being pretty, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned. But, that's me. I have always been more into function than pretty.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose that is a possibility. But if so, I did not at all notice them.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
My 700 has been in that Bell and Carlson for many years. Sure not going to take it out and check. Rather imagine it all being smooth as silk. Shoots very well, but not quite as nice as my 20" barreled FN SPR.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looks like "step over" artifacts from CNC machining with a ball end cutter to me. Probably done on purpose to ensure a "crush" contact of sorts in lieu of actual bedding. They didn't have your receiver to measure and match, which would have been difficult to do anyway. Not a problem with your rifle. Just go ahead and bed it, like you wanted to do. Looks like it kind of worked, pretty good contact between block and receiver, nice even spacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts