M14 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
I store mine in "sealed bags" in ammo cans in hot ( 90's F ) garage. Military ammo has been stored in warehouses in hot deserts and jungles for extended periods.
Well you goobers got to my small brain and I ordered a shelf today so I can store all my ammo cans in my bedroom. I can now sleep peacefully with mucho ammo next to me. Thanks for all the recommendations and answers. (y)

I have a "fruit cellar" or "root cellar" (depending on where you're from) which is all concrete underneath the front porch. I had a steel security door put on there. I keep a dehumidifier in there (and a Golden Rod in the safe which is also in that space) but the temps in the winter get cool and in the summer get stuffy. I doubt it ever gets to 90F but probably in the 80's. Yet it is dry. Shy of cutting into the block and running an AC duct in there that is my setup.

Reactions: luigi
For those who keep a truck/car gun. How often do yall cycle out the munition?
I recently fired 3 mags of Remington Golden Sabre that had been in my car 'lock box' for about 24 months. All 30 rds functioned perfectly. I was hoping for that but was concerned enough to test and replace.

Projectiles were tarnished but cases were nickle-plated and pristine. Not sure brass cases would have been and that's a potential chamber / extraction issue. But that's why I use RGS in my car gun.

I think it's important to avoid really bad conditions. At the same time, let's not make perfect the enemy of good. The important thing is to have the ammo. Store it the best you can. While I agree 70 degrees with low humidity is great, it's not always an option.
Having a climate controlled, humidity free storage area is unlikely unless you have more money that you can deal with.
Ammo cans were truly designed well. They are sealed, easy to transport, stackable, and available at reasonable prices. A little dessicant in each can and it's all good, IMHO.

Also, I have a number of military ammo cans, military surplus, of course. The outsides are sometimes rusty which steel wool and WD40 takes care of. But ALL of the insides are rust free, if the can was kept closed apparently. So I think these are the ideal solution. If you want to store them under your bed in the climate controlled house, that is perfect IMHO, and makes use of space seldom used. As a bonus you can't do vaccuming there anymore.
I do like the plastic cans from Harbor Freight, too, but I am not sure they seal like the Army cans. They would work well under the bed tho.

I have an attic setup for ammo. I’ve quartered off a portion of the attic, insulated it, and that section has an attic stair that comes up from a walk in closet. I put in vent that allows cooler air from the closet to go into that insulated section of attic, but for not much temperature loss in the house so long as the closet is closed.

In the dead of the summer it gets as hot as 80 tops up here. All the ammo is in cans inside larger sealed plano cases with plenty of desiccant in each.

So far, so good.

If you want to store them under your bed in the climate controlled house, that is perfect IMHO, and makes use of space seldom used. As a bonus you can't do vaccuming there anymore.
There are plenty of plans to remove your box spring and bed frame and build a platform base that can be used for storage. It's free space. You can use heavy duty full extension drawer slides or a set of Murphy bed hardware to lift the whole mattress.

I store mine in a safe inside my house were the Temps range from 65°-75°

How about an experiment? 6 boxes of ammo stored in a garage, sealed to avoid moisture. Every year take 6 rounds, 1 sighter and 5 for group. anybody young enough to do this for 20 years? Good way to see what the temperature swings do to the rounds over time.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.