M14 Forum banner

Storing ammo in hot garage

4K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  dickjames214 
If you are storing ammo in a hot, humid environment then yes, you are ruining it.
Lead will frost, powder will degrade and brass will tarnish.
I live in Houston, similar climate, and all ammo, powder and primers are inside. I would never store any of it in my garage. I've seen what happens to tools, plastics, chemicals etc after 5-10 years.
That's what I found in coastal South Carolina. Looking at what happens to my stuff in my shop, there's NO WAY I would ever take out anymore than I intended on using.

If you want to store them under your bed in the climate controlled house, that is perfect IMHO, and makes use of space seldom used. As a bonus you can't do vaccuming there anymore.
There are plenty of plans to remove your box spring and bed frame and build a platform base that can be used for storage. It's free space. You can use heavy duty full extension drawer slides or a set of Murphy bed hardware to lift the whole mattress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.