M14 Forum banner

Storing ammo in hot garage

2370 Views 35 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  dickjames214
I never had this problem in California, but now that I live in Florida my garage get over 100 degrees.
The afternoon sun hits my garage door for hours. I know that I need to insulate my door.
I keep most of my ammo in a locked cabinet . Of course I will not shoot it when it’s that high temperature.
Am I ruining my ammo?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I think it's important to avoid really bad conditions. At the same time, let's not make perfect the enemy of good. The important thing is to have the ammo. Store it the best you can. While I agree 70 degrees with low humidity is great, it's not always an option.
Having a climate controlled, humidity free storage area is unlikely unless you have more money that you can deal with.
Ammo cans were truly designed well. They are sealed, easy to transport, stackable, and available at reasonable prices. A little dessicant in each can and it's all good, IMHO.

· Registered
16 Posts
Also, I have a number of military ammo cans, military surplus, of course. The outsides are sometimes rusty which steel wool and WD40 takes care of. But ALL of the insides are rust free, if the can was kept closed apparently. So I think these are the ideal solution. If you want to store them under your bed in the climate controlled house, that is perfect IMHO, and makes use of space seldom used. As a bonus you can't do vaccuming there anymore.
I do like the plastic cans from Harbor Freight, too, but I am not sure they seal like the Army cans. They would work well under the bed tho.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.