M14 Forum banner

Storing ammo in hot garage

4K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  dickjames214 
I never had this problem in California, but now that I live in Florida my garage get over 100 degrees.
The afternoon sun hits my garage door for hours. I know that I need to insulate my door.
I keep most of my ammo in a locked cabinet . Of course I will not shoot it when it’s that high temperature.
Am I ruining my ammo?
I never had this problem in California, but now that I live in Florida my garage get over 100 degrees.
The afternoon sun hits my garage door for hours. I know that I need to insulate my door.
I keep most of my ammo in a locked cabinet . Of course I will not shoot it when it’s that high temperature.
Am I ruining my ammo?
Yes. I lived in Orlando for 10 years and stored all ammo and reloading components in sealed cans in a climate controlled room. My 25 year old cases of Federal GMMK Will still shoot 1/2 MOA or less. A friend kept his ammo in sealed cans in his garage and the heat degraded the powder creating higher pressures, very poor accuracy and some split cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.