M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this, please move it if this is not the correct area.

The following rifle was stolen in Austin, Texas at El Rancho Mexican Resturant on South Lamar street.

Springfield Armory M1A Super Match, S/N 073660 in a McMillan Camo Marine Corps stock, with: Leupold MK4, M3-10X Mildot reticle on an ARMS #18 low profile mount and Leupold tactical brings. In the carry bag.

The rifle belongs to a shooting friend of mine.. I did all the work on the gun so I know it's capabilities. It is probably in Mexico by now..

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

grunt0321

·
Registered
80 Posts
man that sucks, I recently stopped taking my rifle with me when in Austin because lately have been worried about auto breakins.A friend had his truck broke into while at lunch and they stole his laptop but missed the shotgun behind the seat.I personally have had my 2 year old ram 3500 dually cummins stolen along with enclosed trailer and all the tools,and it was definatley in mexico before I knew it, I"ll never go to the valley again! Anyways I"ll keep an eye out, and good luck.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Now now fella's you should know that there is no criminals in mexico..........
Only poor people oppressed by America and her evil racism and capitalism......

They are just here to do jobs Americans won't do............

sarcasm of course....sorry to hear about the rifle. Ill keep my eyes open at ranges, and stores, I save the SN in my cell phone.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very sorry to hear that! Thieves are lower than roaches...

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
In Austin you definitely want to hit all the pawn shops. The firearms retail dealers would know a rifle like that is probably hot and refuse it. Tell your buddy to cover the gun shows this next weekend, also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
uffff, what a shame i´m really sorry, hope you´ll find it soon.
In my country we are not aloud to stop with the car anywere. We just can go one way from home to the shooting club and back. If someone steal the gun we go direct to jail.

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss! I can't really suggest anything that has not already been suggested. Do you think it would be worth while contacting the BATF and get the serial number registered as stolen? You never know someone might try and make it legal again down the road.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stolen M1A

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.. You can bet the Guns Shows as well as the local Pawn Shops have been checked and are being checked.

This is a precision rifle and most of the local gun shops know the gun, the owner and me..
We are doing everything we can to get the gun back and put the perps behind bars.. Then we will worry about what to do to them.

Semper Fi

grunt0321

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Never leave valuables in unattended motor vehicles, especially firearms because if they're stolen, they are pretty much guaranteed to end up in the wrong hands. I can't tell you the number of "unlawful breaking and entering a motor vehicle incident/offence report that I took in my 30 years as a street cop.

However, if you do choose to leave your weapons in your vehicles.... Then make sure to write down your serial numbers and other pertinent information on them so that you can provide them to the nice officer when he comes out and writes up your B&E of a motor vehicle report. Because without the serial number, make, model, caliber, etc your stolen weapons can not be entered into the NCIC machine and your stolen guns will never be hot.

One of the first thing that all cops do as a matter of course is to run the numbers on any weapons we get our hands on. That's why it's so important to have the numbers for the police I&O report. The same thing applies at home on anything with a serial number. If it's valuable but doesn't have a serial number then inscribe your state along with your drivers license number on the object in a prominent location. The cops can later run that DL state and DL number and your name and address will come up as being the one who reported the item stolen....

7th

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sorry for the gun stolen.

And sorry people had to stick political crap in the non poly forum.

But another thing to think about is if you get guns stolen from you, you can potentially get on special poop lists by government agencies. As was stated above, if a gun was stolen, it was stolen by criminals (duh, they stole it), therefore, you "gave" a gun to a criminal. If this happens a number of times, I think some database flags can pop up and they might wonder why you keep conviently losing guns to criminals. I don't know if they'll start looking at your bank statements or standard of living or what, but I know there have been some stings about such things in the past. I think it was a combo of ATF/FBI and local. Though I think in those cases, the number of guns stolen was truly large. I.e., it was just a means of illegally transferring to criminals.

That said, losing a zillion dollar M1A shouldn't raise any bells. But I don't work for da guvment.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Owning a gun is a privilege over here, not a right. Reliability is one of the keywords to acquire this privilege ( the others are requirement and expertise) If you loose one of this, you loose your guns very quickly. DWI is a lack of reliability, making access to unwarrented persons ( even the own wife) is another one. Thats the reason why my sweetheart don`t know the combination of my gunvault. At least officially ;-) .If the authorities drops in for an unexpected house inspection ( they do it!!) she does the Sgt Schultz: I don`t know nothing.
A major issue is, that after a hunt you are not allowed to take the gun with you into a bar and you are not allowed to leave it in the trunk. A very thin ice is, to take only the bolt into the bar and leave the rest in the trunk.
Wolf

Reactions: BIG_BERTHA

·
Registered
823 Posts
You cant even stop for gas.
No, that is incorrect.

Any extended stops that are deemed unreasonable are prohibited. I personally handed a theft of firearms left in a Jeep CJ with a convertable top from a shopping area while the owner ate dinner. No charges were filed by the Prosecutor. He was lucky actually. But in any state his actions were stupid.

What I found incredibility stupid was the fact that he was surprised that someone could break into his canvas convertible top!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.